222k receiver and getting surround sound to work...??

pauly814

Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
I have a 222k HD receiver. It is hooked up with HDMI and also I have an optical audio cable running from my tv to the surround system.

What do I need to do to make the dish receiver also use surround sound and all 5.1 dolby speakers?

I dont see any audio settings that deal with this. Right now I only hear sound comming out of my front left and front right speaker. Even when watching a tv show that has surround.

Make sure audio out is set to Dolby/PCM on the receiver. Run optical audio from the 222 to the surround system

Last edited:
that will give me surround from the receiver to the surround system....

right now i have optical audio from the tv to surround system.

if i connect optical audio to receiver, how will i get audio from tv, for over the air programs, to my surround?

Use a digital optical cable from the receiver to your reciever and if the tv has digital optical out as well put that into a second audio input on the receiver.

Get the OTA module for the 222 and run everything through the receiver. I do this because my TV does not have DD out.

Many TVs only pass 5.1 through the optical out for the TV as source. If you have an OTA antenna plugged directly into the TV and are watching it. That's the TV as source. If you have cable TV connected directly to the TV, that's the TV as source.

If you have an HDMI device connected to the TV (your Dish receiver) that's NOT the TV as source. That's the satellite receiver as source to the TV and your TV's optical out may only be passing stereo or 2.1 out through that optical out.

You want to connect an optical audio cable from teh satellite receiver to the the AV receiver (and keep your HDMI to the TV ... it's fine). When you are watching satellite, you switch the TV input to the HDMI from the satellite receiver and the AV receiver to the optical audio from the satellite receiver.

I use my TV for video switching and my AV receiver for audio switching. Works fine.

In my area NBC has no Dolby digital, only ProLogicII (PCM) and CBS shows Dolby digital 100% of the time but mostly has no surround sound.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts