24" Dish and 121

gunn55

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 24, 2004
Sorry if this was covered already, Could you use a 24" Dish to get the 121 bird with a dish 500 for the 110 & 119 instead of using a super dish.
And what kind of lnb would you need.
Thanks.

a 24" MIGHT work, but thats really pushign the envelope

For 121 & 105, a 30" dish and a KU band LNB is what you need

Can you get a picture with a 24"? Yes
If a slight cloud cover comes across will you lose signal? Yes :)

it gets worse

jergenf said:
No, For 121 or 105 you need at least a 30 inch (36 recommended) and also the FSS LNB.
Really?
Okay, another thing about the standard 24" dish that'd make life hell is this:
how do you skew it?
The standard 24" dish mount won't.
Also, where would you find a FSS LNB that's fit on the "D" shaped arm?

At least if you get a FTA 30", it'll have a proper LNB and mount.

If you live somewhere 121 or 105 is your true south, skew is not needed.

It is possible to skew a 24” dish. Heck, I skewed a 18” dish….just need the bracket for it
: )

Anole said:
Really?
Okay, another thing about the standard 24" dish that'd make life hell is this:
how do you skew it?
The standard 24" dish mount won't.
Also, where would you find a FSS LNB that's fit on the "D" shaped arm?

At least if you get a FTA 30", it'll have a proper LNB and mount.
I imagine your situation is that you have a twin LNB for 110/119 but a standard dish without a skew adjustment hub. If this is true see "Making your own dish500".

If you looking for a solution for building a standalone FSS dish then you don't need skew. Skew adjustment is just for multiple LNBs on a single dish. Also you'd need a bigger (.8 to 1 meter) dish for 121 sat anyway. The dish needs to be tilted because all the satellites appear in a diagonal alignment in the sky.

Making your own dish500
If you don't want to buy the dishnetwork 24 inch dish500 style dish then you'll have to make skew plate yourself. Mechanics is not my major but I imagine the part of the mount that the dish joins the mast (I'll call it a box mount) would need a circular metal plate attached. Actually the plate will be a semi-circle with a rectanglular base (an upside down U) that will be U-bolted to the mast. The semi circle portion would need upper and lower set of arches cut into it to allow for some adjustment. If you know the exact angle of I suppose you could drill four holes for U-bolts at the bottom plate and four hole pre-skewed to mount the box mount of the dish but there no margin for error so circular slots will allow for microadjustment. Bottom line the "box mount" (part that connects to the pole will be laterally mounted to a metal skew plate while the bottom of that plate will be bolted to the mast.

Tip: Practice making the plate out of cardboard first then transfer you design to metal. Also make sure that your skew plate doesn't interfere with the elevation adjustment.

I believe FSS come in both legacy and Dishpro you'll need the same series as your twin LNB is, try the internet you should be able that and a 1 meter dish.

Hope that helps it's the best I can do without eye-balling the situation.

Anole said:
lol !
I love your imaginative ideas.
I won't comment further. ;)
Yes, very imaginative. But a little short on knowledge.

Sometimes it takes us old-timers to deal with the old-time hardware, eh?

Linear LNBs have a skew of their very own. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)