25th anniversary of earthquake world series is friday

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 13, 2005
daytona beach
hope some of you watched the excellent 30 for 30 piece which aired tuesday night, the day the series stopped. it revisted the 1989 loma prieta earthquake which struck near sants cruz at 5:04 local time right before the start of game three of the world series.

if you didn't it will reair friday the 17th (the actual day of the quake) on espn 2 at 10pm, i believe. this was the first and hopefully last earthquake to be televised live. many california agencies believe the series actually saved lives. many people left work early to watch the game. or were among the 62,000 at candlestick park.

Last edited:
I remember watching the beginning of the game. Al Michaels said something for about 3 seconds and then the screen went blank. I just thought they lost signal and had no idea until they came back on the air that it was an earthquake. There was no internet like today when I could have found out immediately what happened.

i knew almost immediately they were having an earthquake. i spent some time in the south bay area (mountain view), thanks to a tour of duty at then moffett field in sunnyvale. while i was there, i believe we had 2 or 3 minor quakes. the first one i was sitting in bed reading and i saw the guardrail moving. i walked outside but by then it had stopped. i thought to myself, was that an earthquake. because of this, the subject of the 89 quake remains a fascination for me, especially given the sports factor.

I was working the front desk of a motel in Lexington, Kentucky at the time. Guests coming to check in were talking about it. I had no idea at the time how bad it was. I probably had that recorded on VHS but I'm sure I erased it. I should have kept it for the historical aspect anyway.

I was working the front desk of a motel in Lexington, Kentucky at the time. Guests coming to check in were talking about it. I had no idea at the time how bad it was. I probably had that recorded on VHS but I'm sure I erased it. I should have kept it for the historical aspect anyway.
if you were recording the game, then, yes, you would have had some incredible footage. that was due to the fact the goodyear blimp was there for the ball game. the blimp's pilot is asked how much fuel he has. he responded about 10 hours.

Or you could have lived in Santa Cruz when it happened like I was. A lot of people did indeed leave work early to see the series. I was driving in the mountains when it hit having left early :biggrin2

I remember seeing "WORLD SERIES" with that green backdrop and then watching Roseanne. I saw the 30 for 30 and it was excellent. I still remember the Bay Bridge collapsing. Very scary.

let me know what you think of it after you watched it. since you lived there at that time, you may have a different reaction than i did.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)