269 Bug list

WeeJavaDude

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2003
SoCal
Time to put together the bug list for 269 so we can keep track. I will try and keep the top post up to date. Kinda of like our own Release notes. I now this is not complete so I am sure people will add to it. I will take the action item to update the top.

What was fixed & added.

What was improved or fixed.
---------------------------
1) Dark Video greatly improved.
2) Closed Caption
3) Recall button now functional (few bugs).
4) Pg Up & Pg Dn change stretch modes.
5) Open TV. Added
6) Channel Hide lock is now working. (few bugs)
7) OTA seems to be improved.

New Bugs found
----------------
1) Direct channel changing in favorites list no longer works.
2) Loss of Video and audio. EPG still works and channel changing. Required reboot to fix.
3) Sirus Channels do not get removed if you hide them through channel locking.
4) Flaky Info Screen. Does not stay up when pressed. Seems Random and not wide spread.
5) Some users are reporting some channel mapping issues with 2.69. Some channels are loosing the mapping.
6) When listening to a Sirius channel, and switching back and forth from full guide (with picture), the sound drops out a couple of times. (Random)
7) Browse feature does not show all channel info when browsing. Only the current channel can be seen and the next channel (May be works as designed).
8) 811's clock running slow when tuned to local channels. A timer set to go off at midnight will fire at 12:02 - 12:06, depending on how long I've been watching OTA.

Not Fixed.
----------
1) Random Acquiring Signal and Downloading Guide.
2) Some receivers are not working with Dolby Digitial. Possible cause is that the recevier needs to support 96Mhz mode.
3) Some users still have OTA issues. (Number has greatly descreased)
4) Some users still reporting dark video issues. (Number has greatly descreased)
5) Random "stuttering video". Looks like the picture jumps several frames at a time and takes a channel change or power cycle fix it.
6) Go from a analog channel to a digital channel can loose audio. Changing the channel will get the audio to come back.
7) Timers still don't work when programing a show to be recorded on the VCR.
8) Reports of Slow video and studdering when watching OTA for long periods of time.
9) Favorites list limits the amount of channels you can add to it. Manual states unlimited amount of channels.

WeeJavaDude said:
Issues to be aware of

1) Some receivers are not working with Dolby Digitial. Possible cause is that the recevier needs to support 96Mhz mode.
2) Some users still have OTA issues. (Number has greatly descreased)
3) Some users still reporting dark video issues. (Number has greatly descreased)

You forgot Acquiring Signal and Downloading Guide. Those are definitely two of the biggies.

I'd add "stuttering video" to the not fixed list. This is the one that looks like the picture jumps several frames at a time. It takes a channel change or power cycle fix it.

NightRyder

GaryPen said:
You forgot Acquiring Signal and Downloading Guide. Those are definitely two of the biggies.

I will add those two the bottom. Was trying to capture new ones and fixes. but left a three area for what was considered not fixed.

NightRyder said:
I'd add "stuttering video" to the not fixed list. This is the one that looks like the picture jumps several frames at a time. It takes a channel change or power cycle fix it.

NightRyder

I get frame drops every 30 seconds to a minute or so. Channel changes and power cycling are most definitely *not* a fix.

I have NONE of the listed problems...but now my CID is spotty. Also, when I sect "INFO" and get the transparent screen the info screen goes away after 3 seconds. Hit INFO again and the opaque info comes up and stays.
Acts like this 90% of the time

I haven't tried to tape anything on the VCR in a LONG time, since the 811 would not display video when the timer kicked the receiver on. Has this been fixed, or do the timers still not work correctly?

Anthony

Also I still have the same problem I have always had. If I go from a analog channel to a digital channel I loose audio and have to go up or down to get the audio to come back.

Another Bug

I relayed this to a Dish Engineer on Sunday.
I lost my CBS OTA channel 25 after 269. Never had a problem with this one before. I add it back manually and it locks 90+% I name it "cbs" or "Ch 6" or whatever and save and it does not show up in my list of OTA. I back out to the guide and now my "back panel video inputs" channel is named "cbs" or "ch 6" or whatever. This is very frustrating. Anyone else have a digital station you cant get to show back up? Anyone else have a DTV ch. 25? :(

The timers issue is still there when I program a show to be recorded on the VCR it is a black screen with 269. Also have noticed that sometime when I press guide I get the serching for sats screen and then download guide.

Jaspear said:
I get frame drops every 30 seconds to a minute or so. Channel changes and power cycling are most definitely *not* a fix.

Then it's not the same problem I described.

If this is happening all the time you have other problems besides the known 811 bugs. It could be a bad receiver or assorted signal problems.

NightRyder

one more...

When listening to a Sirius channel, and switching back and forth from full guide (with picture), the sound drops out a couple of times.

My wife watches OTA a lot and that is a bag of worms.

Last night I "lost" ABC. Usually comes in at about 70%. Last night it was stuck at 49% - for the duration of the NFL preseason game. Some weaker channels at 60% came in fine. I pick up two digital ABC channels. While switching between them and hoping to get a picture, the 811 output went black and the box stopped responding. Then I saw the OTA orange light go out and the box rebooted all by itself!

OTA is a total mess still.

A comment. The Guide has satellite channel data for DAYS into the future. I watch OTA for an hour, try to use the Browser, and the satellite channels all say "No information available". Where did the DAYS of stored information go to? LOL.

The Browser should at least be able to use the stored Guide data that is valid for DAYS into the future.

Keith.

The random "stuttering" HD video is new to me with 269. I didn't have that problem prior to 269, not even on TNT-HD.

In the last couple of days I have noticed I have this random studdering problem. I didn't have it before 269. This was definitly caused with 269.
the studdering happens quite often.

johnny_b said:
In the last couple of days I have noticed I have this random studdering problem. I didn't have it before 269. This was definitly caused with 269.
the studdering happens quite often.

My opinion is that this probably has more to do with the 3 transponders / HD channel than 269. The timelines are so close together it would be hard to tell.

I too have noticed the "stuttering" after the 269 software upgrade. After last nights Monday Night Football game on ABC HD OTA, when I went to change the channel back to a satellite channel I got a black screen with no audio. At first, the channel banner said, "No Info", then I got program Info, but still no video and no audio. I had to do a reboot to fix.

keith said:
A comment. The Guide has satellite channel data for DAYS into the future. I watch OTA for an hour, try to use the Browser, and the satellite channels all say "No information available". Where did the DAYS of stored information go to? LOL.

The Browser should at least be able to use the stored Guide data that is valid for DAYS into the future.

Keith.
That makes total sense.

Also, why does it have to download data at all, until you forward to the limit of what is stored. IOW, if it has info until 8pm tonight, it shouldn't have to go into download until I forward the guide to 8pm, or it is after 8pm, and I switch to guide.

Of course, the real solution would be to program it to DL guide data in the background. No banners. No interuption.

keith said:
My wife watches OTA a lot and that is a bag of worms.

Last night I "lost" ABC. Usually comes in at about 70%. Last night it was stuck at 49% - for the duration of the NFL preseason game. Some weaker channels at 60% came in fine. I pick up two digital ABC channels. While switching between them and hoping to get a picture, the 811 output went black and the box stopped responding. Then I saw the OTA orange light go out and the box rebooted all by itself!

OTA is a total mess still.

Keith.

Hmmm Interesting.. I watch a lot of OTA too and switch around and I am not seeing any of this information. All my channels are locked solid. What is your OTA setup like? What antenna are you using? One time I had problem with my ABC HD signal and it turned out that my Preamp was accenting some multipathing issues. An Anntuetor helped this situation.

Later I had some very strange behavior when I first got my 811 and had it installed. I only got a few channels and things were very flaky. It turns out it was because I was pumping my OTA signal through my power conditioner. Turns out this was also happening with my 6000 when I placed it back into service to test things out. Soon as I took the power conditioner out of the OTA cable loop, I have great lock and signal ever since.

The point to this story is this. I had the power conditioner in the loop before the 811 was installed. Swapping the box possible resulted in a loose connection or something else. Hard to say, but I took the approach of minimizing my configuration to troubleshoot and got lucky. I don't know what you have or have not done or what your setup is. You might want to verify that things are cool and try a few experiments to see if you an improve matters. What you are describing is no were near my experience.

I am not saying it is not the 811, you might also try a box swap but I think you have done that.

GaryPen said:
That makes total sense.

Also, why does it have to download data at all, until you forward to the limit of what is stored. IOW, if it has info until 8pm tonight, it shouldn't have to go into download until I forward the guide to 8pm, or it is after 8pm, and I switch to guide.

Of course, the real solution would be to program it to DL guide data in the background. No banners. No interuption.

Right now with 2.69 and 2.68, the only time I see the downloading guide is when I get the acquiring signal bug. I can understand the reason for this one because it is an artifact of the bug.

Does your guide require frequent downloading Keith? The fact that you say it disappears tells me that it might be getting corrupted. Maybe this is tied into loosing your signal on your OTA. This would explain why I don't see it.

I am assuming that the 811 is turned off occassionally allowing the guide to be updated... And Yes the real solution is a background update. :) I agree here for sure. In my case this had not been a problem, but I turn off the box ever night since it is down stairs and use it daily.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts