2800: how to get past smartcard errors?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Pepper

DVR Addict~Mad Scientist
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 16, 2004
Satsuma, AL
I found an old 2800 receiver for cheap at my favorite electronics store (Goodwill), unfortunately it didn't have a smartcard. I tried a blue card (left over from when I had a 721 and got the new yellow card), however the unit tells me it is not valid.

I am wondering if the unit could be made active with this card or if I need another one.

My dilemma: I need to get to the "check switch" menu so it can get a signal, and let it upgrade software (766 to 834) before I even think about calling Dish to see if it can be activated using my existing card (can't receive activation "hit" with no signal), but I can't find a way to get to the menu because of the error messages. Is there any way to activate the menu without a smartcard? All I can seem to get is the System Information display.

Pepper said:
I found an old 2800 receiver for cheap at my favorite electronics store (Goodwill), unfortunately it didn't have a smartcard. I tried a blue card (left over from when I had a 721 and got the new yellow card), however the unit tells me it is not valid.

In general, a card will only work in the receiver it came from. They are whats called a "married pair."
You'll need to call dish to get a new card.

mkm4 said:
In general, a card will only work in the receiver it came from. They are whats called a "married pair."
Call DISH tech support and see if they can marry your blue card to the 2800 for the purpose of upgrading the software. They be able to tell you if that software is upgradable. 1-800-333-3474 it won't cost you anything to call them. :)Oh yes they can also tell you if there is any outstanding debt on that receiver from the R00 number and how much it will cost for the card to make your bargin a working receiver. I believe a new 111 is only $79 and it is NEW.

mkm4 said:

You DON'T need a "new" card - if you have a card from a deactivated receiver that IS good, just take the card out of it, place in your new receiver, call DISH & treat it as if you are activating it as a newly added receiver/card. This will remarry the new card & receiver together & it will work just fine - I've done this several times for customers with no problems...

dishrich said:
You DON'T need a "new" card - if you have a card from a deactivated receiver that IS good, just take the card out of it, place in your new receiver, call DISH & treat it as if you are activating it as a newly added receiver/card. This will remarry the new card & receiver together & it will work just fine - I've done this several times for customers with no problems...
I called dish, they said there's no balance which is good, but with the "invalid card" error I can't get to point dish/switch test, which means there's no way they can "hit" it to do the marriage ceremony/activation.

if the receiver cant see the satellite because it doesnt have the correct switch config, there is no way they will be able to "hit" that receiver. The receiver will only marry the card once it sees a valid activation code come from the satellite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)