2inch shadow across up and down my screen

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rbarbier

Original poster
May 17, 2004
Hello,

I have a Sony Reciever with 2 component inputs and one output. When I run anything through my Sony Reciever I get a 2" shadow across my screen and it goes from bottom to top. I decided to buy all new Component cables (Monster cables $49.99 each) and I still get this. If I run my devices directly to my TV I don't have a problem. This happens on my DVD player, 811, and my JVC DVHS. It is a little annoying. Please help.

Thanks.

I was thinking of getting high quality fiber optic cables instead of the cheaper ones but I don't know if this would help. Maybe some sort of filter?

rbarbier said:
Hello,

I have a Sony Reciever with 2 component inputs and one output. When I run anything through my Sony Reciever I get a 2" shadow across my screen and it goes from bottom to top. I decided to buy all new Component cables (Monster cables $49.99 each) and I still get this. If I run my devices directly to my TV I don't have a problem. This happens on my DVD player, 811, and my JVC DVHS. It is a little annoying. Please help.

It sounds like a problem in your Sony receiver's component video section. Are there enough component video inputs on your TV to handle all your sources? Connecting your video sources directly to the display will almost always provide the best video quality. The exception being using a video processor (scaler, line-doubler). Of course if you don't have sufficient inputs then you need a component video switching system.

Not all component video switches are created equal. Some are intended for 480i video and do not have enough bandwidth to carry a 480p, 720p or 1080i signal. The switch in your receiver may be of this type, in which case there is nothing to be done other than replacing the receiver. If the switch is rated for HD component video then you may be able to have it repaired/replaced under the warranty or store exchange period if they are still in effect.

rbarbier said:
I was thinking of getting high quality fiber optic cables instead of the cheaper ones but I don't know if this would help. Maybe some sort of filter?
This has nothing to do with the video section of your receiver. The optical cables carry only the digital audio bitstream. No video information passes through them.

I agree with Kent's analysis. Which Sony A/V receiver do you have? I have an STR-DE895 and do not have any problem viewing my DVD output from it. However, I don't use the second input (SAT/TV), just DVD component IN and TV Monitor component OUT. My DVD signal is also amplified in a Component Switch (I have a Sammy DVD-HD931 player and a JVC DVD Recorder sharing the DVD input) before it gets to the Sony, so I may be fixing any limitation of the Sony with my input.

I have a Sony STR-DE595. I think I might just buy a good switch box and not run it though this device. Are my component inputs on the Sony HD compatible? How would I know.

Thanks.

I would find it hard to believe that the 595 & 695 component video sections are not the same.

In other words, your 595 should have no trouble switching HD component along with DVD component signals - just like my 695 does flawlessly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)