2nd DPP44 switch gone bad:(

jt240z

Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
About a year ago I had Dish install a 4 sat (119, 110, 129 and 61.5) system using a DPP44 switch and my old 3900 receiver. Less then 90 days later the DPP44 died with a complete loss of signal from any sat. Dish came out and replaced it for free under warranty but now, 8 months later, the switch died again. Same symptoms as before. Complete loss of signal. I've replaced the switch temporarily with my old legacy sw21 (only 119 and 110 working now:( )Now dish is telling me that I have to pay for a new switch.

Before I go out and buy a new switch (out of my pocket) I would like to know if there are any issues, that you guys are aware, of that would be causing me to have damaged switches reoccurring. Installation? Receiver?

Is the power inserter installed? It should be on port 1.

You can try resetting the switch by unplugging everything from the switch. Then connect the power inserter to port 1 and continue adding the receivers.

DPP44 switches have been pretty reliable. I have had the same one for several years now with no issues at all. But I have heard some people complain that they failed on them.. Just don't see it often.. If you have had two fail then I would start looking at something else that might cause it to fail.. Heat, moisture, or connectors that are shorting out. Is it possible for two to fail.. SURE.. But I haven't seen it happen.

The system was installed by one Dish guy and then checked by a second dish guy when he replaced the 1st bad switch. I've heard that a ground wire needs to be attached to the DPP44 case. The switch is currently is not grounded except by the coax connectors and cabling. The power inserter is attached and the entire system is connected to a UPS backup / surge suppression system mfg by APC. The switch is mounted outside on the roof top. The 1st sat guy installed it to one of the posts while the other guy moved it off the post and screwed it directly to the roof.

I haven't tried to reset the switch yet. The system went to no acquisition from any sat and that was the symptom of the original switch. Resetting that switch made difference, so I didn't even try this time.

If the reset doesn't work, then I'll go ahead and pick up another DPP44 switch. I've seen them for sale on ebay for much less then the $199 that dish wanted to charge me. Used switches are going for $50 without the power inserter. I still have a new inserter in an unopened box, so all I need is the switch anyway.

Thanks for the help guys.:hatsoff:

My switch has always been installed in my attic, out of the weather. As an installer I have never been comfortable with these things out in the weather although they are rated for outdoors.. And my switch has never been grounded. Nor will it ever be. Nor will any of my satellite equipment for that matter. I want it to last..

Put the switch indoors and the problem will be solved!

The installers are too dam lazy to run all 4 lines and mount the switch inside the house, it should not be mounted outdoors exposed to the elements.

Not all of us are lazy.

Maybe a better solution would be a Dish 1000.2 with the 61.5 coming into the DP Plus Triple, thereby eliminating the DP Plus 44 switch.

Also, instead of having to ground 4 lines from the dishes, you would only have to ground the 1 line going from the LNB to the 3900 receiver.

I really don't know (between the DP Plus Triple LNB with the 1000.2 dish and the DP Plus 44 switch) which one is less expensive.

"I really don't know (between the DP Plus Triple LNB with the 1000.2 dish and the DP Plus 44 switch) which one is less expensive."

The DPP44 switch is more expensive. The 1000.2 is about $99.99 and the switch is around $179.99.

A switch mounted to a roof is not only exposed to the weather, it is exposed to the heat radiating from the roof. On a hot day, it can get VERY hot up there. With the switch sitting ON the roof, it also has water pouring around it when it rains. If the switch is secured to the dish, off the roof, it avoids the river of water and can handle the heat better, as it is exposed on all sides to help dissipate heat.

The best choice is to at least get it under the eaves, if not in the attic or crawl space.

About a year ago I had Dish install a 4 sat (119, 110, 129 and 61.5) system using a DPP44 switch and my old 3900 receiver. Less then 90 days later the DPP44 died with a complete loss of signal from any sat. Dish came out and replaced it for free under warranty but now, 8 months later, the switch died again. Same symptoms as before. Complete loss of signal. I've replaced the switch temporarily with my old legacy sw21 (only 119 and 110 working now:( )Now dish is telling me that I have to pay for a new switch.

Before I go out and buy a new switch (out of my pocket) I would like to know if there are any issues, that you guys are aware, of that would be causing me to have damaged switches reoccurring. Installation? Receiver?
Call Dish enroll in the Digital Home protection Plan..It's $5.98 per month..Then set up a service call for no signal..The tech will discover that the 44 switch has gone bad and replace it...Free of charge..All you pay is the $29 truck roll fee.Then in a few weeks dump the DHPP....It's legitimate....good luck!
BTW I have seen DPP44's for as much as $199...SO it's worth it to look into the Plan

The system was installed by one Dish guy and then checked by a second dish guy when he replaced the 1st bad switch. I've heard that a ground wire needs to be attached to the DPP44 case. The switch is currently is not grounded except by the coax connectors and cabling. The power inserter is attached and the entire system is connected to a UPS backup / surge suppression system mfg by APC. The switch is mounted outside on the roof top. The 1st sat guy installed it to one of the posts while the other guy moved it off the post and screwed it directly to the roof.

I haven't tried to reset the switch yet. The system went to no acquisition from any sat and that was the symptom of the original switch. Resetting that switch made difference, so I didn't even try this time.

If the reset doesn't work, then I'll go ahead and pick up another DPP44 switch. I've seen them for sale on ebay for much less then the $199 that dish wanted to charge me. Used switches are going for $50 without the power inserter. I still have a new inserter in an unopened box, so all I need is the switch anyway.

Thanks for the help guys.:hatsoff:
That switch should not be attached ot the roof..Water may be intruding into the switch..It should be upright with the switch oriented as illustrated on the switch itself..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts