3 Hoppers / 9 Joeys is the New Maximum: Contact DIRT Team for Special Setup Details

sparc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 24, 2006
The following information was sourced from the Hopper Upgrade Thread regarding a new maximum for the Hopper/Joey System.

It seems like it got overlooked and I thought i'd post it in the main forum.
This requires contacting the DIRT team and having them get you in touch with a special department. Note: We did not discuss costs and they may be very high in some cases since that's such a substantially large system with so much equipment. We also didn't discuss minimum number of joeys for a three hopper system either (at least not yet).

The limit is now 3 Hoppers, and 9 Joeys. This is not something that DIRT can set up, but we can have someone from the proper department call

i'd like to see the wiring diagram for that :p

1 Duo node, 1 solo node (so they wouldn't integrate unless something like a trio node came out). Likely with 2 "trunked/cascaded" DPP44 switches. I can make one, but it won't look pretty

With the two separate nodes, is there a way to get all three hoppers and joeys to see each other? or would it be two separate networks?

Currently, no. The Joeys would only be able to be linked to the hopper(s) connected to the same node.

Also, is there a technical max on the number of joeys per solo node? and per duo node?

Max is 3 Joeys per Hopper, so a solo node would be 3J, duo node would be 6J

Last edited:
I asked Matt this very question before my installation and he answered as the thread suggests. That was on Monday, March 19th. However, it's now Friday (March 23rd) and still no one has answered me back. I don't want more equipment, just a third Hopper in place of a Joey (It's a long story).
Sure wish the "someone from the proper department" would call.

Ok, I got the call back. Someone I won't name said he was from "Black Ops" at Dish. He was very friendly and super knowledgeable.

Here's the facts: I CAN get a third Hopper, but will have to buy it as the upgrade was only for a max of two Hoppers at the special $100 price each. Since my original install used a single node, I will also have to pay for the Dual Node. Aside from whatever weird install will be required switching to a dual from a single, this seems to be a pretty simple upgrade. The guy from Dish thinks I could do my own upgrade based on our conversation and knowledge of the install. That's the bad news (cost).

The good news: an additional Hopper will only add $7 to the monthly charge, same as any other installed unit (Hopper, Joey, etc). I will actually swap out a Joey for the Hopper so my monthly charge will remain the same.

When (and if ... $$$) I decide to do this (I probably will ... have seen Hoppers in the interned for about $350 ... just not right away) he needs me to call him back to set it all up.

Just thought someone might be interested is how this will work.

Last edited:
To consolidate some discussion, here are some posts in other topics on wiring three hoppers:

Third Hopper also requires a DPP44 + DPP33 (or another DPP44.)

I have 3 Hoppers and 2 Joeys. 3 Hoppers are connected via coax (duh) and all are on the same MoCA network (connect client ports of Duo/Solo Nodes together.)

Sorry I don't have a diagram, but basically:

- You'll need 3 lines from a 1k.4 or 1k.2 dish to a dpp44 switch
- from the dpp 44 you need 3 lines to a dpp33 or another dpp44
- output 1 of the dpp44s gets connected to the power inserter only
- from there, you need a duo node and a solo node or 3 solo nodes
- the nodes get the necessary number of of feeds from the switches
- hoppers on the host ports of the nodes
- joeys, nodes and hic are all combined on the client ports

Last edited:
My installer told me he and 2 other techs did an install recently in the Colorado Springs area with 3 Hoppers and 9 Joeys. It took them all day since it was a first for everyone. The guy had a huge house with a HDTV in every room. Oh how I wish I could have this setup in a 10 bedroom house :D

My installer told me he and 2 other techs did an install recently in the Colorado Springs area with 3 Hoppers and 9 Joeys. It took them all day since it was a first for everyone. The guy had a huge house with a HDTV in every room. Oh how I wish I could have this setup in a 10 bedroom house :D

And, just maybe, that house no longer exists. Be careful what you wish for......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts