3 Room Into 5 Room Setup?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

peid

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 22, 2003
South Dakota
*Edit* I've had Dish for over 1 year now, so it is not like I just signed up with them.

I think I know what I need but I don't know for sure, any help would be appreciated. Here is what I signed up for, 3 rooms free for all. So I got Dish 500 system, 811, 311, 311. I have 3 RG6 wires coming into my house from my Dish. I have since leased another 811 and deactivated my 311 although I still own it.

I am in the process of finishing my basement and a bedroom and living room will be down there. How do I turn my current 3 room set up into a 5 room set up? I am planning on reactivating my 311 which I put away after leasing a 811 and then leasing another receiver, probably another 311. What do I need to do on the outside of the house to make this work? I have no clue what LNBs or DP%$* switches I have, but tell me where to look and I can find out.

My question is simple, What do I need and how much will it cost in equipment? I know the 2 extra receivers are $5/month on my bill. I also know about backfeeding but don't think that is my best option, although I won't rule it out if somebody can give good suggestions.

Going from 3 to 4 is no big deal, (assuming you have a quad feed). adding the fifth ird is where you will run into money, you will need a multi switch for that fifth receiver, doubt if Dish will give it to you for free. To keep Your expence down i would suggest four receivers, if that it impossible, get the multiswitch and cable & enjoy.

KyInstaller said:
Going from 3 to 4 is no big deal, (assuming you have a quad feed). adding the fifth ird is where you will run into money, you will need a multi switch for that fifth receiver, doubt if Dish will give it to you for free. To keep Your expence down i would suggest four receivers, if that it impossible, get the multiswitch and cable & enjoy.

How can I tell if I have the "quad" feed? If I did, could I simply run another cable out to my satellite and hook it up to another receiver?

If I do not have "quad", how much would it cost to get "quad"?

What is the multi switch? Why is 5 receivers uncommon? About how much money are we talking to get the 5th receiver?

peid said:
How can I tell if I have the "quad" feed? If I did, could I simply run another cable out to my satellite and hook it up to another receiver?

If I do not have "quad", how much would it cost to get "quad"?

What is the multi switch? Why is 5 receivers uncommon? About how much money are we talking to get the 5th receiver?
Go to Menu 6-1-1 and check switch go to details and it should give you your electronics setup. Hopefully you would have a DP Twin with a DP-34 switch that would allow 4 receivers off the existing electronics. Adding a second DP-34 switch would allow upto 8 receivers. I believe DISH'S suggested retail on a DP-34 is $129 but from about $20 you can find "working" DP-34s just shop Ebay. 5 receivers is uncommon because DISH has decided to do their LNBs and switches in multiples of 4, a Quad will support 4 receivers but to add the next 4 runs about $100 for the additional plus the cost of the receiver. :)

Thank you, that is basically what I have been wondering. If memory serves me right, I do have the DP Twin and DP-34 but will check tonight. So if I have that, I can simply run more RG6 cable out to the dish, hook up the cable to the extra spot in the DP-34 switch and plug in my newly reactivated receiver and start enjoying? That might be the way to go, and then back feed one of the 811 into a bedroom or something.

Ok, went home at noon today and checked it out so there is no confusion.

Attached is what I have, how do I get at least 4 rooms or better yet, 5 rooms. What parts do I need, is this a DIY install or should I hire it done?

The other thing I was thinking is the fact that I subscribe to my locals but don't have the 2nd dish to get all of them, by choice. What if I called E* and requested the second dish, would that help me out at all to get more equipment or switches etc to help with what I want?

I only have about 2-3 weeks to decide what I need/want and get it done. So all the help you can provide would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• 3 RG6 Cables.JPG
    3 RG6 Cables.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 172
  • 311 Screen.JPG
    311 Screen.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 170
  • 311 Screen Details.JPG
    311 Screen Details.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 158
  • 811 Screen.JPG
    811 Screen.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 168
  • Dish LNB.JPG
    Dish LNB.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 158
  • Dish On House.JPG
    Dish On House.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 164
  • LNB Sticker.JPG
    LNB Sticker.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 166
I'm in a similar boat...I have a QUAD LNB feeding 4 tuners now (510, 522, 811) but I want to replace the 811 with the new 942 when it comes out. That brings me up to 5 tuners. Would I need to feed 2 of the lines from the sat to 2 of the tuners, and then the other 2 lines to a DP34 that feeds the remaining 3 tuners?

Thanks,
Jason

peid & jrapps: You need at least a DP34 added to the mix.

For those tuners that only need 2 birds, they can run off the leftover Quad feeds.

If (and only if) more than four tuners REQUIRE 3 birds, then a second DP34 is needed.

Side note: For additional 2-bird capacity for one tuner, a low-cost DP21 can be attached to the DP34 cascade ports.

Simple Simon has it, that is it. You have a dpQuad now to go to more rx's with getting locals on all Rx's you need a dp34 switch, that will give you 4 you want 5 I think....you need another dp34 cascaded to get up to 8 so there you go. But like simple Simon said if you don't need locals on all Rx's then the Quad and and one Dp34 will do
:)

So if I get this DP-34 switch, all I do is replace the one which is inside the dish now, near the LNBs and boom, just like that 4 rooms? I don't quite understand looking at X # birds. I think I am only looking at 110 & 119. Are those birds? To look at another bird, say 61.5, I would need the 2nd dish on the house correct?

What would I gain, if anything, if I requested the 2nd dish be installed for free to receive my other locals, but then re-aim it at the same 2 birds I am already looking at? Wouldn't I have another 3 rooms off that 1 satellite? So that would basically take me up to 6 rooms wouldn't it? 3 Rooms off existing dish, 3 more rooms off 2nd dish? Or am I missing something?

The Quad's swiitch is built-in - you can't touch it, nor do you need to.

birds are satellites. Some of us use that term because too many turkeys call the dish antenna and/or receiver a "satellite". :no

Yes, a 2nd dish would be required for 61.5. It's typically NOT the same type.

However, if you don't object to a second dish, just get another 500 with a DP Twin on it. That gives you 2 more feeds for a total of 6. Costs around the same as a DP34 - but with 2 separate dishes, you won't lose all your TV to a single hardware failure - EVER. ;)

SimpleSimon said:
Yes, a 2nd dish would be required for 61.5. It's typically NOT the same type.

However, if you don't object to a second dish, just get another 500 with a DP Twin on it. That gives you 2 more feeds for a total of 6. Costs around the same as a DP34 - but with 2 separate dishes, you won't lose all your TV to a single hardware failure - EVER. ;)

Thanks Simple Simon.

I am not looking to aim the 2nd dish at 61.5 but rather point it exactly as my other one is, 110 & 119.

To summarize, I have the "Free For All" which after my commitment is up (10 months left) I own all my equipment. I also get my locals over the dish, meaning I have some stations where it says, "You need a 2nd dish to receive this station, please contact Dish Network for your free dish."

That is what I was thinking of doing is calling Dish direct, and saying, Hey, send me that 2nd dish for my 3 room setup to receive ALL of my locals. I would guess it would be the EXACT same setup as I currently have outside the house, Dish 500 etc, no?

My question is, if they send me the 2nd dish, do they HAVE to install it or could I? Will I own the 2nd dish like the rest of my equipment or will Dish own it? Any repercussions if it is supposed to be set at 61.5 but later moved to 110 & 119?

Just exploring all my possibilities.

On a side note, I called Dish last night asking about leasing another receiver. The CSR indicated since I already have leased one, I can not lease another until I've had that one for a year. I said it was my understanding a person could lease up to two receivers. He agreed and said I could if I leased both at the same time, but since I chose to only take one, I must wait to get the second until after a year is up. Sort of dumb huh?

Thanks for everybody's help. I sometimes think I know what I am doing and then I just get more confused. My plan right now is to run 2 RG6 lines into each and every room. Worst case I can always back feed.

Just got off the phone with a CSR and she said the second dish would be a Dish 300, not the Dish 500 which I have.

She also said it would have a single "eye" instead of the two which I currently have. It is free along with free installation but she said she couldn't just drop ship it to me. She also said she didn't know if my retailer would do it for free or not.

So.........what is the difference between a Dish 300 & Dish 500? With my Dish 500 having two "eyes" and the Dish 300 only having one "eye" where does this leave me? I think it means the second dish won't do much good since it can ONLY look at one bird and not both as I require.

Sounds like the second free dish idea won't pan out after all.

Dish 300 is a 18" dish with no skew adjustment...Has one lnb only for one satellite only. the Dish 500 is a 20" dish with skew and the "Y" adapter for dual lnb, twin or quad lnbs... for 119 and 110 satellites. To do what you want unless in one room you can live without some programing you will need another dish 500.

How/where can I find out what programming is on what birds?

61.5 Contains: ????????????

110 Contains: ?????????????

119 Contains: ?????????????

Etc.

I hope I have an extra spot on my existing Dish Multi-switch to simply run a 4th cable out there. I would then have a 4 room setup and would back feed the final tv for 5 rooms.

Thanks. That basically is all I needed.

I just wanted to see if 90% of my programming was on one bird and the other 10% I could live without. It isn't that way, it seems to be about 50/50 for me.

I guess I am looking at 110, 119 & 148 since I have some of those listed channels. I don't however get the HDTV Demo channel on 61.5. Is that channel worth anything? Is it worth getting the 2nd dish solely for that channel?

peid said:
Thanks. That basically is all I needed.

I just wanted to see if 90% of my programming was on one bird and the other 10% I could live without. It isn't that way, it seems to be about 50/50 for me.

I guess I am looking at 110, 119 & 148 since I have some of those listed channels. I don't however get the HDTV Demo channel on 61.5. Is that channel worth anything? Is it worth getting the 2nd dish solely for that channel?
No its just looped over and over....I get both sats for cbshd east and west...

Thanks for all the help.

I think I am left with looking at my switch outside and see if I have another available spot. I have been told I do but am getting mixed feelings, messages, etc whether or not I do.

If I do have 1 extra spot, I will run a cable outside and have a 4 room setup with the 5th room being back feed.

If I don't have 1 extra spot, I will likely be posting away like crazing trying to figure out the best way to get that one extra spot. Most likely it will be with a new multi-switch I believe.

Thanks again for your help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)