wiping out dish firmware on 522

Status
Please reply by conversation.

guylafleur

Jan 30, 2005
From Canada, i just baught a Dish 522 dvr (pvr) on e-bay(usa) and want to connect on Bell (in Canada Bell supports the 522 receiver) but can not erase the firmware of Dish ifrom the receiver, Any ideas ... ???
Thanks

Kryspy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 11, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Hi,

Here is what I would have done:

Called ExpressVu first so you'd know they will not activate a Dish receiver.

That 522 will make an excellent doorstop because apparently Dish will not activate it either as they were meant for Dish lease customers.

Kryspy

chaddux

Insert Clever Phrase Here
Supporting Founder
Sep 19, 2004
DMA 114
guylafleur said:
From Canada, i just baught a Dish 522 dvr (pvr) on e-bay(usa) and want to connect on Bell (in Canada Bell supports the 522 receiver) but can not erase the firmware of Dish ifrom the receiver, Any ideas ... ???
Thanks

There is a very simple procedure to do this:

1: Take 522 out of box.
2: Dip in water for approximately 15 seconds.
3: Place in trash can.
4: Place trash can at curb.
5: Obtain Bell receiver.

I would, of course, follow those steps at your own risk. I can neither guarantee nor vouch for success.:)

guylafleur

Jan 30, 2005
iI posted this thread because there is a way to dump the dish firmware on the DP721 receiver (nvm reset), just asking if a similar procedure is applicable on the 522, no more. Be sure i will try YOUR procedure if any other way is possible...
Thanks !!!

Smith P.

On Vacation
Oct 4, 2003
Bay Area, CA
You are misleaded somehow - that NVRAM reset cleaning only user's settings, like switch matrix; but never will 'dump firmware' - the 'firmware' of PVR721 is a DishLinux reside on HDD.
The DVR522 keep own Linux out of disk; only records storing there.
And again, FYI - Dish and EVu receivers have DIFFERENT serial numbers, ie you CAN'T make cross subscription, regardless your tricks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)