No Digital Audio Out from Hopper

chieffan

Original poster
Apr 14, 2024
SW Iowa
My hearing aids audio is streamed by blue tooth from the DISH receiver. Has been working fine for a couple months. Went to watch TV and no sound from the aids. Everything on the TV was working fine. Hearing aid company stated in their pairing instructions and when the cable is plugged into the Digital Audio Out the LED at the end of the cable will turn green. Mine does not, indicating no audio signal is present. The LED at the Digital Audio Output is also red. DISH support was no help what so ever. Could not understand that the hearing aids were completely separate from the TV. I am very much a non hi tech guy and know little about this stuff. Is there a setting or something on the Hopper that needs changed to get the signal back to the DAO again? My TV does not have a Digital Audio Output jack so have to use the one on the Hopper. No Joey connected either.

The digital audio out on receiver will always be red. It's an optical signal meaning it uses light to deliver the signal.

You say they are Bluetooth, so do you have an external Bluetooth transmiter connected to the optical cable? Asking because the hopper does have internal Bluetooth built in as well.

Reactions: charlesrshell
The digital audio out on receiver will always be red. It's an optical signal meaning it uses light to deliver the signal.

You say they are Bluetooth, so do you have an external Bluetooth transmiter connected to the optical cable? Asking because the hopper does have internal Bluetooth built in as well.
Not sure what I have, it is just stated as a TV Connector. But it has to be paired with the hearing aids. I think it just uses the audio signal to transfer it to the aids. Going to try and go through a page of instructions again. They always assume that everyone has a newer TV with a Digital Audio Output connection. My TV don't. I really don't understand all of this blue tooth, pairing, etc. and to old to start learning now. Thank you much for your reply and information. Was simple the first time so have no clue what is going on now.

Not sure what I have, it is just stated as a TV Connector. But it has to be paired with the hearing aids. I think it just uses the audio signal to transfer it to the aids. Going to try and go through a page of instructions again. They always assume that everyone has a newer TV with a Digital Audio Output connection. My TV don't. I really don't understand all of this blue tooth, pairing, etc. and to old to start learning now. Thank you much for your reply and information. Was simple the first time so have no clue what is going on now.
I would reset everything first. Unplug from power then power back up. Your hearing aids as well. When you turn everything back on, do your hearing aids last. From there if still not working then I'd keep trying to repair them.

I have the instructions on how to unpair the aids and start over. I think one issue may be the remote may only turn the TV off and not the Hopper. Aid instructions want all the power shut off? Carolyn was here when they installed it so know nothing about it. Will see how bad can mess it up tomorrow.

Back to trying to get audio from the Hopper to my hearing aids. Slowly - followed the instructions carefully. Went well clear through paring the aids with the hearing aid TV controller. Got the 5 note chime. But no audio at the aids. Aids are working fine. Is there something that got changed in the DISH setup that could have turned the digital audio out off? Tried a new audio cable also that didn't help. Again, my TV does not have a digital audio output, only a head set output plug so have to go to the DISH receiver. Worked before but not in the last 3 weeks or more.

WOW !! Finally got things working. Figured out that tiny micro rocker switch on top of the aids does several things. One way increases volume. Opposite way decreases volume. Hold one side down turns them on/off. Hold both down for several seconds turns the pairing on to receive the streaming signal and off to reject the streaming signal. Have had these aids going on 5 years and only knew of the raise and lower volume. What happened to plug and play? My old Commadore Vic 20 had plug and play game and program cartridges 40 years ago or more.