30 second skip?

Nabber

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 30, 2008
Was talking with a dish agent (online chat) and asked whether the Hopper/Joey units had a 30 second skip. He said they had "a" skip but didn't know how long the skip was. Does anyone know?

Theoretically, the above two answers are correct. In practice, for me, the skip function is pretty much random, especially if you skip forward too far, and then want to back up a bit. It varies anywhere between 2 seconds and 2 minutes. It can be extremely annoying.

On both of my Joeys and the main Hopper, Skip Fwd/Skip Back are incredibly unpredictable and make watching DVR recordings unusable. Moving from a ViP722 to the Hopper, all I used was the Skip buttons because Fwd/Back was too hard to use... But As I am about half way through a 33 minute recording, I skip forward twice (on the Hopper), then it tells me the recording is done, and I can go back to the DVR list.

Same behavior seen on both Joeys.

Basically, if I want to have to restart the recording, I use the Skips. I've transitioned to using the straight Fwd/Back buttons, and the more powerful processor in the Hopper is nice - the fast forward video is easy to see where I'm at. But these skip buttons gotta work better... It seems like a poor software issue.

I've discovered that it's much more reliable if I don't hit it too quickly. Also seems more reliable on fully recorded shows than it is on still-recirding shows-

The 722 was WAY better than the Hopper with both using the skip buttons and fast forward/rewind buttons. It is just plain awful with my Hopper unit. Very annoying especially since the 722 was freaking awesome at it. I have seriously been questioning if my unit is defective but it appears others share the same pain.

Random Skips

I've discovered that it's much more reliable if I don't hit it too quickly. Also seems more reliable on fully recorded shows than it is on still-recirding shows-

I have found the same to be true. The skip on the hopper especially watching an already recorded program is very reliable. The skip on a joey for a recording in progress, is almost totally random. I believe there is a timing issue for the joeys due to their network locations and extra processing that must occur that causes confusion when multiple skips are quickly entered. When the hopper is busy recording the same program, it increases the chance the the skip commands get confused. I suspect that their are bugs in the code that exacerbates the problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts