300 ohm wire

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

truckracer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 17, 2004
Charleston wv
Would I have more signal left from my DTV antenna outside if I ran 300 ohm twin lead into the house to the tv's with 300 ohm to 75 ohm baluns right on the back of the dtv tuner boxes and tv's? better than running my current rg6

The difference would be minuscule and not likely to improve your reception. Also, twin lead picks up ingress interference which may make the signal quality worse.

Many people are misled by the so-called "signal strength" numbers displayed by the signal test feature in consumer TV tuners. The number it displays is really an indicator of signal quality, derived largely by how much error correction is taking place. Instances where someone's off-air reception benefits from reducing coax loss by a couple of dB are relatively uncommon, and if one of your off-air signals is so anemic that it might make a difference, you would be better off slightly preamplifying the signal as soon as it comes off the antenna.

Edit. I was unable to read the light green lettring in your signature, but after highlighting it, I see that you have stacked Yagis and a pre-amp. Have you tried posting your situation in AVSForum? Sionce you've already spent some money but not achieved the results you want, you probably should have your reception situation analyzed before you spend any more.

chuck the twin lead, I hate twin lead, I dont care what anyone says , there is more loss on twin lead than rg 59. Rg6 is great and if you can get quadshield thats even better. I know of a cable tv subcontractor who routinely throws away rg 11 coax 100' sometimes. if you can rg 11 thats the best.

I have good reception on my locals. One of my friends out in the country is having issues. My stacked yagis give 100% quality on all my locals.
He splitting 5 dtv's off a vu 120 xr radioshack antenna.
We are using a radioshack In line amp mounted at the antenna balun.
I think his problem is the antenna needs to be higher.

He needs about 30 or 40 feet of rohn tower.

300 ohm wire dose have its advantages in open air. Into a steel or mason building 75ohm cable should be used.

300 ohm wire when properly installed has less line loss than coax, but it is more subject to environmental degradation unless you get shielded, UV resistant 300 ohm wire.

Pendulum swung toward coax because of ease of install and longer time between replacement, not because of the relative properties of the two cables.

Echo that, and it may not be the gain but a lower noise figure in the CM preamp that's really making the difference...

Its better to use an antenna pre-amp that has 300 ohm input instead of a 75 ohm input one if your antenna is 300 ohms!
Every twisted together 300 ohm wire or coax junction creates loss the less the better!
Soldering 300 ohm wire junctions works.
Both Channel Master and Winegard made/make 300 ohm input pre-amp antenna products.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)