311 receiver to a dish 500

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

catonite

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
We are trying to connect a dish network system to our rv. We have a 311 receiver and a dish 500 with the SW21 switches. First, is this ok or do the switches have to be dish pro switches? I was confused reading some posts. When we tried to hook it up we received a signal and thought everything was fine (after receiving a message about too few satellites after running check switch) then we came back a few minutes later and there is no signal and the check switch said something about a bad switch. Sorry that I don't have specifics but I wasn't writing this down and this is information that I am pulling out of my husband! My first question is if I have all the correct equipment such as the switches. Also, we will have about 65 feet of cable from the dish to the receiver. Are the in line amplifiers to boost our signal any good? Thanks for any of your information to try to get us started.

"We have a 311 receiver and a dish 500 with the SW21 switches"

You can't mix DP with Legacy. You either get a DP Twin or get a Dish Pro Adapter so you can use the 311 with Legacy switches.

I believe we are going to need more information. First off, a 311 will run just fine with legacy equipment. Second, if you only have one 311, all you would need is one sw21 switch. Also, make sure the two LNBs don't say DP on them. If they do, you would need a DP21 switch, but it would probably be easier to find a DP Twin LNB at that point.

311 is backwards compatible with legacy switches and LNBs. You don't need an amp for a 65' run. It sounds like you aren't pointed correctly and the receiver is telling you it found fewer satellites than the last time you had good service. Your best bet is to temporarily remove the switch and run the line directly in to your 119 LNB. Then on the point dish screen go to transponder 11 on 119 and aim the dish. Once you have that down, hook up to the 110 LNB and check 11 on 110. After both are confirmed good, run your check switch and you should be good to go.

"We have a 311 receiver and a dish 500 with the SW21 switches"

You can't mix DP with Legacy. You either get a DP Twin or get a Dish Pro Adapter so you can use the 311 with Legacy switches.
Sorry Randall, you got that backwards. The legacy adaptor is to connect an old receiver to DP equipment. What he has should work fine, if connected and aimed correctly.

Thank you for the info

Thanks so much for your information. I was getting confused if I had the correct correct switch with our equipment. We tried it again last night and did what was advised of us to test the switch only on 119 then we would have 110. That is exactly what happened. We were aiming the 110 and picked up 119. Ops! Happy ending thanks to eveyone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)