322 / 522 Install Help Needed

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sciocco

Original poster
Dec 9, 2004
So I just got Dish Network after many crummy years of cable. It was the DVR feature that brought me over. So needless to say, the basic install that was done leaves me a tad underwhelmed. So in an effort to better my situation, I’ve spent the last couple of days perusing the forums and I’ve learned quite a bit about diplexors, splitters, and the like. So I feel like I’m ready to try to beef up my install.

Here are the details. I have a 322 in the “bonus” room and a 522 in the family room. Because my house was just built this year, it makes the wiring pretty easy because everything comes together in a central wiring closet.

My goal is to use the central cable distribution system to be able to distribute the following signals to any of the TVs in the house: 322’s TV1 (CH3), 322’s TV2 (CH50), 522’s TV2 & DVR (CH60). The part that has me the most confused is getting the combined signal back to the bonus room where the 322 is. There are only 2 cables available into that room.

I’ve attached my proposed design and I’d really appreciate any feedback on it before I tackle the project. (A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing, you know) I’ve also attached the “as-is” design so you can see where I’m coming from.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 298
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 268
  • After part2.jpg
    After part2.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 244
Nice diagrams and planning, but you can't double-diplex (322 black cable) like that.

What you need to do is combine the 322's TV1 & TV2 RF outputs BEFORE diplexing it onto the white cable. This leaves the black cable free to be diplexed with anything (VHF/UHF) that you like.

That'll git-r-done. :)

Wow! Thanks for the quick reply.

I had a feeling that I was running afoul with that double-diplexing thing. Thanks for the feedback. Now to tackle the project . . .

Hehe, you tried inventing the triplexor. :)
I've never been one to stand in the way of creativity.

And welcome to SatelliteGuy.US, sciocco! :)

Follow Up Help Please

:confused:

OK. It took me a little while to get all the stuff purchased and delivered and now I've got a few questions before I do any real damage. (See the attached updated diagram). So far, getting the combined TV2 signals distributed throughout the house seems to be working fine. My problem is getting that signal back to the 322 (see page 2).

1. The diplexers that I bought seem to pass DC on both outputs (JVI SDX-100DC). Is that a problem for what I'm trying to do? When I placed one of the diplexers on the line going into the 322 (see page 2) and attached the combined signal to the Ant In on the 322, it started making a buzzing noise. I immediately detached it in fear that I'm messing it up.

2. The quality of the signals on channel 50 (322) and 60 (522) seems to have degraded quite a bit. I've already got it going through a signal amp. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help you can provide

Attachments

• After.pdf
    58.7 KB · Views: 254
You could try changing the output channels for the secondary outputs so they are much farther apart maybe being that close togather is causing some interferance/feedback between each other. Its just a guess but should be easy to try and can't hurt anything.

Thanks guys. I'll try your sugggestions and see what happens.

So to question 1, there isn't a problem with power being fed to the Ant In of the 322? I guess I'm nervous about frying the thing or something.

I do not know about power being fed to the ant in I dont think that is a good Idea I might sugest getting a dc blocker for coax and putting that on the antenna in and see if that helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)