322 and my Philips DVDR with HD - Help!

jpezz

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
I have a Philips 720/17 DVD Recorder with built-in 20GB hard drive (I had it before I had Dish) and have two problems:

1) Dish doesn't seem to support DVRs with their remote controls. They have info on controlling DVDs and VCRs but not DVDRs. Using the search option as well as all the listed choices for Philips DVDs resulted in no luck controlling my DVDR. I need it because the 322 will send out the IR signals to start recording on a VCR and I could use that feature to do the same on my DVDR. Dish Tech support was no help.

2) The DVDR supports "TV Guide On Screen" which is a feature that allows the TV Guide Info (not the one provided on the receiver) to be downloaded to a device supporting this feature. It is a freebie unlike TIVO. This allows one to see the "TV Guide On Screen" on the DVDR (actually on the TV but provided by the DVDR) and program it by selecting shows a week in advance. The DVDR then picks up the show name and keeps it with the recording on the hard disk and when burning a DVD. The DVDR supports providing an IR signal which would then control a cable box (possibly the 322?)
As of now, I have to use the TV guide on the 322 to set up to turn on and then manually program the DVDR with a start/stop time.

Note that with alternative 1 working, I dodn't need the "TV Guide On Screen" or alternative 2. With alternative 2 partially working (no IR signal), I can just program the 322 and the DVDR by selecting shows rather than by time and channel. With the full alternative 2 capability, I just have to program the DVDR and it would control the 322.

Thanks for any assistance.

JohnP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)