322 Being Held Hostage

cebps1

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 3, 2005
Sothern New Jersey
Ok, I could use some comments on this subject because I am not sure what to do.

Purchased a 322 receiver from ebay after Dish could not provide me with a 322 unit for free but could some how provide me with (2) 311’s which I am sure was in effort to collect the additional receiver charge. I waited until after Aug 3 to purchase because I was told there would be a special lease offer available Aug 3. Reviewed Aug 3, 322 lease offer for 69 dollars and 18 month contract and turned it down in favor of purchasing a 322. Received unit Tuesday and installed unit. Dish Tech support helped me do the install Tuesday and said “the software needs upgrading and this will take 20-30 minutes” so I figured I would check it Wed night. Well Wed night I checked it and the error I got says “receiver not authorized yet” I call to trouble shoot and get someone who says I will need service out to my house as she could not fix the problem. I call back to get someone in the states this time (free advise: if you want to speak to someone with good English select the option for add receiver) she informs me that I have an illegal receiver and that all 322 receivers / dual receivers are for leasing only. She then asks me where I bought it and how much I paid for the unit. I refused to answer the how much (very personal) and me for the guys name who sold it to me.

She then refuse’s to authorize the receiver because again “all 322 receivers are designated for lease only”. I asked her why they did not inform me of this information when one I called up to give them the CAID number prior to purchasing the unit to avoid any problem. I also asked her why I was not informed of this with the first two calls? she refused to answer either question.

From what I can tell I would have to assume Dish rolled out this new lease program and since then designated all dual receivers as lease only. The receiver I have was originally purchased in 9/05 so I know it was before 8/3/06.

At this point I realize Dish is very up set at receivers being sold over ebay but when the customer calls up and gets prior approval I cant see why they are holding me hostage. I assume I could negotiate with them for the safe release of the 322 receiver if I give up my source (ha ha).

Any serious advice would be very helpful.

Papa,

Have you sold a 322 or any other dual receiver since 8/3/06?

Scott,

Will use the CEO address if I can not come to some kind of resolution tonight.

Anyone else know of 322 being desiginate for lease only?

Radioshack has 322 listed for sale on their website at 149.00. That is buying it outright so no not all 322 are for leased options or they would not be for sale like that... CEO E-mail should take care of it for you though.

The 322 you bought may have been a leased unit that the seller wasn't allowed to sell. DISH won't authorize a leased unit that belongs to them. They can lease you a unit or if that is the case(leased) you can go back through Ebay and return it to seller but it will be a major hassle. Basically your bargin may cost you more than getting it from DISH.

If the error message is "receiver not authorized yet" then duhh, it's not yet been activated. You only get that message on a brand new, never activated receiver.

If it were a prior leased unit then it probably would have been active at some time. I suggest a game of CSR roulette.

Yeah, purchasing any of the receivers that Dish makes is legit so long as they are not leased by another customer. There's no restriction to lease only by Dish itself. The agent you talked to musn't have been very up on things, since he/she could've just put in the receiver info and looked up the account it came from if it was leased. Other than that, you may have gotten some silly agents because if the receiver is purchased and legitimately disabled on the other person's account, there's no problem with authorizing it.

Pepper said:
You only get that message on a brand new, never activated receiver.

Not necessarily true. That could come up on a leased replacement receiver from someone else's account or if the receiver has been disabled on another account or if the receiver has lost authorization from not getting power or signal for a period of time.

Last edited:
The 322 unit was new in a sealed box. I will have to try the CSR game later today. I raely don't want to return the unit and dont want to lease under their 18 month contract.

No Luck

Well I just got off the phone with the supervisor (Steven employee # F7H) and he has informed me that this 322 now has a balance of 88 dollars! He could not explain why when I called Dish OK the CAID number I provided nor did Dish provide this information on the second or third call. Steven also infomed me that the 322 has never been for sale? I am getting conflicting information on weither it is ok to own a 322 receiver?

I tried to compromise by telling him and I woud lease a 322 for $49 / 18 month contract if they upgraded my leased 942 to the 622 at the same time, he said no we can not do this, so I if did not want to contract for a 622 why would I contract for a 322?

Will try the CEO thing next if that fail will go back to cable or D as I am not under contract.

Steven is flat out wrong on the 322 never being available for sale. Those units have been available for outright sale or use on a Free For all Promotion for at least 6 months now if not more. The balance issue is an odd one to say the least especially since you state that you checked the CAID before purchasing the unit. I just want to confirm that you are reading the receiver information directly from the back of the receiver for the CAID, right? Every rare now and then what's on the outside of the box does not match the receiver inside.

ebay

The CAID number was correct. I get the impression they are upset because I bought it off ebay! Why would they have a problem with a ebay receiver?

cebps1 said:
The CAID number was correct. I get the impression they are upset because I bought it off ebay! Why would they have a problem with a ebay receiver?
Dont call the CSR. Do what the others are telling you, email the CEO address and make sure you give a contact number. They will make it right ;) .

ALL receivers are allowed to be activated if they have a zero balance and not a previous leased receiver. If its brand new then it is allowed to be activated. Some CSR's obviously didnt not get the new info or something.

Talking about ebay sales... I had a weird one when I bought a brand new 811 off of Ebay. I activated it for the HD only package. Two or three days later my receiver says I'm not authorized on all my channels. I call in and they say my account is flagged and they have to transfer me. So I get this other guy that says he's been turning my channels off a few hours a day for the past 2 days and he's glad I finally called in. He asked me where I got the receiver and what was the users name on ebay. I didn't give him the users name as I thought this was personal information and I didn't feel like digging for it. He wouldn't give me another other information and turned my channels back on. Very weird.....

cebps1 said:
Well I just got off the phone with the supervisor (Steven employee # F7H) and he has informed me that this 322 now has a balance of 88 dollars! He could not explain why when I called Dish OK the CAID number I provided nor did Dish provide this information on the second or third call. Steven also infomed me that the 322 has never been for sale? I am getting conflicting information on weither it is ok to own a 322 receiver?

He's wrong in saying it's never been for sale. As for the $88 balance, that's entirely possible because the receiver/card numbers are discreet. As long as you're reading the numbers correctly and the agents have basic motor skills, the research should be accurate. What that means though, is that it's transferrable, just that whoever sold it to you didn't pay their bill. Dish is stuck there because it's not their responsibility to make sure whoever E-bayed your receiver paid off their bill before selling it to you secondhand. I have no earthly idea why these people didn't figure this out sooner, but if there's a balance you're out of luck with that receiver. Think of it as a lemon.

A balance may be showing because the receiver has not been released from the sellers account, & is still linked to the sellers account.

I took a receiver off of my account & then sold it 4mos. later, buyer checked & verified no balance, when he tried to activate E* said there was a balance of $136 which is my monthly bill. After I called in CSR said the receiver needed to be released off of my account, did that , contacted buyer & he was able to activate 5 minutes after that.

That being said contact ceo & find out the real story if you are unwilling to contact the seller

Jordan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)