322 New Guy Question

SteveT

Original poster
Feb 2, 2004
Here’s a “new guy” question.

I just converted from C-Band to the mini-dish club. I got the 322 receiver with two tuners -- seems like a nice unit.

Leftover from my old C-Band set-up, I have a single RG6 coaxial cable that runs from the receiver to the other TV’s in the house.

If I hook that cable up to either tuner, and put the TV’s on the appropriate channel (3 or 73) it works fine; that is, I can view either receiver tuner on all of the other TV’s.

QUESTION: Is there some way I can hook this single cable up to both tuners, and then just switch between channels 3&73 on the other TV’s to select which receiver tuner they would view? I assume a simple splitter is not the answer. Thanks.

I wonder if a diplexor would work with this, or if this would require a switch. If you just use a splitter on the tv output then it should do the same to all the tv's it is connected to. You could then just use a UHF remote to take with you into the rooms you want to watch tv in.

I'm pretty sure that if you use the first tuner on channel 3 or 4 and put the 2nd tuner on a higher channel (past 13) that a diplexer would carry both without interference. If you have a sw21 switch left over from installation, try using that.

I've done a little more research on this, and found a satellite IF power divider (splitter/combiner) made by Channel Master. It is available with a "check valve" (diode steer) which prevents one tuner from passing power back to another.

So I think I can use one of these to hook both of my tuners up to the RG6 running to the other TV's in the house; and then select which tuner the other TV's want to see, by selecting either channel 3 or 73. Hopefully this splitter will handle those frequencies without screwing up the signal. Comments?

I think you're making it a little more complicated than it has to be. An "IF power divider" wouldn't be needed to prevent double power to go to the LNBs. The output of the 322 or any receiver doesn't carry power like it does with the cable coming into the receiver from the satellite. If you combine both cable lines with a spliter, it should work.

You all are trying to make this too complicated. If you are just sending the rf out to the other tvs in the house via a separate coax, you don't need a diplexer, sw21, or power divider.

You are simply combining the two VHF/UHF signals on the same cable. You need a simple VHF/UHF combiner like this one:
PET10-3115.jpg

You can get one for less than 5 bucks at any electronics store. Wholesale is a LOT less than that.

I have tons of these if you can't find one locally.

I have tons of these if you can't find one locally.[/QUOTE]

Didn't want to do anything stupid, and toast my new 322. I'll look for one of these. Thanks.

Mainstreet I think SteveT will have to make a slight adjustment on his 322 before using the combiner. Steve you posted that you are using Channel 73 I think you need to go into the menu of the 322 and change the channel selection to AIR on TV2 and assign it to the lowest UHF channel that isn't being used in your area of the country. You will then have to set all TVs in the house from the cable mode to antenna/air mode so they will tune the UHF channels. If you have many TVs on your distribution system you may have to add a distribution amplifier if the pictures become grainy.

boba, Thanks -- all good information. I'm in Atlanta -- so will switch to 15 or 16. I have an amplifier on the cable run, leftover from my old C-Band system. Picture is good on all the TV's from either tuner on the 322 -- so I guess I have that base covered. I assume that when both tuners are hooked up, that it wouldn't cause the picture to deteriorate.

SteveT said:
boba, Thanks -- all good information. I'm in Atlanta -- so will switch to 15 or 16. I have an amplifier on the cable run, leftover from my old C-Band system. Picture is good on all the TV's from either tuner on the 322 -- so I guess I have that base covered. I assume that when both tuners are hooked up, that it wouldn't cause the picture to deteriorate.

Yes, you will definitely have to switch it to UHF. any UHF channel that is 2 or 3 channels away from any off air channel should be fine. I believe that the lowest channel available is 21 on the modulator. The highest is 69. The default is 60, and that seems to work fine in a pretty large distribution. The 322 already has an amp on the modulated tuner 2 output, but the channel 3 may need the second amp you have. Like I said, I have had no problem distributing the higher UHF channels - like 60 - without any grainyness. With that signal combiner, you shouldn't have any deterioration. I have done it, and it works great.

Just as a follow-up, I just hooked it up (the two tuners to the coax) with a crummy three-way splitter I had in my junkbox. I left the channels set on 3 & 73 and everything works great. I have over 1000' of cable and ten TV's (some old, some pretty new) in the house -- the picture is very good on all of them using both tuners. Just a matter of selecting channel 3 or 73 on each TV. Thanks for the help guys.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)