322 Receiver, Tuner 2 broken?

doctornobody

Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
USA
I have a Dish 500 with Dish Pro Quad LNBF with two 322 receivers. I get no signal on Tuner 2. Switching around the cables for Input 1 and 2 makes no difference. Checking the switch in System Info->Installation->Point Dish shows no errors. However, the Installation->System Info screen shows a red flag beneath 119.

I also get _Warning 836_
The check switch test has found you have fewer satellites than previously detected...
I'm afraid to lose tuner 1 so I always click cancel.

One of the 322s has had no signal on tuner 2 for years. The other 322's turner 2 stopped getting a signal about 6 months ago.

I know the difference between TV 1, TV 2, Tuner 1, and Tuner 2. Is this a problem with the receivers?

Hi garys. Thanks for offering a hand.

I let the check switch test complete. It does two tests on satellite one and two. I also let the System Info test finish. Additionally after every nightly update the TV1 gets switched back to Tuner 2, so every time I want to watch TV I have to use Point Dish to change TV1 back to Tuner 1.

Are there any other tests I can try? I think moving the coax connected to Tuner 1 to Tuner 2 and vice versa, should be the definitiive test right? When I do this I still get a signal on Tuner 1 but not Tuner 2.

Thanks for reading.

I am assuming you have 2 lines to the back of the receiver? Because with a dual tuner and a quad, you need to have two. If possible, I would pick up a Dish Pro Plus LNB from eBay or local retailer. This would eliminate one line to the 322's. You could then just use a separator to combine the one line to two tuners. Flipping the lines on the back of the receiver would tell you one of two things. If you have a bad tuner #2 or you could possibly have a bad line too. Check and make sure the connector doesn't have a braiding wrapped around the stinger and that the white dielectric in the center is flush with the bottom of the fitting.

I have 4 cables coming from the LBNF, and 2 cables connected to each receiver. If the cable was bad, then why would tuner 1 still work when I swap the cables?

It wouldn't.
Sounds like a bad receiver, But it could also be bad LNB.
I know for a fact D* receivers can work on fine on one tuner, But E* equipment, may need both wires in order to function properly while using Dish Pro equipment.

If you buy Dish Pro Plus LNB, that just gives you single wire from Dish to seperator, Seperator to Receiver still requires 2 short wires to each Tuner, If you have a tuner problem this won't fix it.

Sound like 2 bad receivers

Last edited:
Thanks for your replys. I'm not missing any channels.

I noticed today that the metal bracket that's supposed to connect the coax shield to the grounding stake was broken and no longer in contact with the stake. I reattached it and poured a little water on it. This didn't fix the tuner 2 problem; though I wonder if it may have caused tuner 2 to break.

The fact that I have two 322 models and one had a working tuner 2 for much longer than the other leads me to believe that it's not the satellite. I just really wanted to check with you all before contacting Dish Network tech support. I don't have a land line and I have bad cell phone reception in my house. Can anyone give me an idea of what they'll ask me to do? If I can do this before I call, I can give them the answers while talking to them outside where I have better reception.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)