322 to 222k upgrade

jlong27

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 21, 2007
Katy, TX
I currently have a 622 and a 322. Would I need a tech to come out just to swap the 322 with a 222k? DISH chat said I can't have it shipped and couldn't explain why.

Probably to properly set up the remote and preclude callbacks (yea-right!).

Same with my 211k replacing a 510 even though I already had a 211 and a 622.

Sorry I'm not following you there. Sounds like your saying they should be able to ship it to me.

Not sure if more information is needed about my setup. I have 2 dishes not sure what type. I receive sat's 110 119 and 129. I guess it's possible I need additional equipment but can't imagine why. I see the same sats on both of my receivers.

Well I just played CSR roulette. I was told they can ship it to me and the system would let her. Also I may or may not get a 222K, I guess that's ok for free. Then came time for the credit card. I gave her my Wife's card number and name and she said I can't use it. So I called the bank to see if my name was authorized and and it turns out I am an authorized card holder on her account. So I told her to use the name and address on the DISH account with that card number and expiration date. She refused to take the card.

So I chatted with someone else and I gave them the cc and it was ok.
Then BAM. This happens.
[FONT=&quot](03) Mike U. VVU:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Please give me two minutes while I check the earliest available date to send our technician to your place.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
John Long: I don't need a tech. Can you just ship it to me?
(03) Mike U. VVU: I am sorry, we do not ship the HD receivers.
John Long: I did chat with someone earlier and they said I can have it shipped since my 322 already see's sats 110, 119 and 129.
(03) Mike U. VVU: As the installation must be done by our professional installer.
John Long: She said the system would let her.
(03) Mike U. VVU: I am sorry for the misinformation.
John Long: Can you just see if the system will let you.
John Long: I had a very long conversation about that and she did verify it was possible to ship it.
(03) Mike U. VVU: I am sorry, we are not authorized to ship HD receivers.
John Long: That's not what I was told. Please check with someone.
(03) Mike U. VVU: Please give me a minute.
John Long: Ok, Thanks. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](03) Mike U. VVU:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Thank you for your patience.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
(03) Mike U. VVU: I am sorry, I have checked with my Supervisor and we will not be able to ship the receiver.
(03) Mike U. VVU: The installation by our technician is necessary.
John Long: That is not true. According to the dish network website it can be shipped and also all that needs to be done is the 322 unplugged and the 222 plugged in. I just talked to someone else at dish and they said the system would let them ship it.
John Long: I am chatting with you because I decided to go ahead and get the 222. (didn't want to mention the whole CC problem)
(03) Mike U. VVU: I am sorry, I will not be able to ship that for you.
John Long: What is the number for retention department.
(03) Mike U. VVU: I am sorry, no other department will be able to ship that receiver for you.
John Long: That is not true. I just want the number to the customer retention department.
John Long: I am sure they will do it.
(03) Mike U. VVU: Please be online while I get you connected to the Loyalty Department who will surely assist you further to cancel the account.
(03) Mike U. VVU has left the session.
Please wait while we find an agent from the (20) Loyalty-HiL HDesk department to assist you.
You have been connected to (18) Thien T. RIM.
John Long: Hi.
(18) Thien T. RIM: Thank you for contacting the Customer Loyalty Helpdesk, please give me a moment to review the previous chat, while I am reviewing could you please send me either the phone number on your Dish Network account or Dish network account number? If you need to reference this chat my name is Thien and my operator ID is RIM.
John Long: Ok.
John Long: thanks.
John Long: the phone number on my account is [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] (18) Thien T. RIM:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Great John. I see you are chatting regarding the receiver upgrade. Unfortunately we can't ship the receiver. We will need to get a technician to install it for you.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
John Long: What is the technical reason?
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]John Long: The current receiver sees the same satellites that the 222 needs.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](18) Thien T. RIM: Wait. I do see you have the hd dish already.
John Long: Yes I do have a 622
(18) Thien T. RIM: Ok we can ship it but unfortunately you will have to call in to 1-888-683-6074 to set it up.
John Long: Ok. What guarantee do I have that when I call in I won't have to go through the same thing? [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](18) Thien T. RIM:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] I guarantee it.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
John Long: Ok.
(18) Thien T. RIM: How else may I assist you today?
John Long: That is all. Thanks.
John Long: Oh. There is one thing.
John Long: Please let the person I was chatting with that it is possible to ship the 222!
(18) Thien T. RIM: Not a problem
John Long: Thanks. [/FONT]

Well, after getting disconnected from the first retention rep I called back and here's the deal. I am getting a 222K installed tomorrow for free, $10 off for 12 mo and HBO and ShowTime for 3mo. The tech will be out tomorrow. Dayum!

If they would have just agreed to ship a 222 and take my credit card they wouldn't be loosing $186 plus whatever the charge for sending a tech out is.

How much should I tip the installation person?

Tenacity and perseverence - John, good 4 U! One area Dish has certainly been lacking in is training and education, from CSR's to retailers to installers. I've always found it annoying that so many perks are offered for new customers, and not to long-standing loyal customers. IMHO sad part is that they didn't just immediately offer you what you ended up with (and I'm assuming you've been w/Dish for some time.)
The only reason I switched toDirect 7 yrs ago was because I lost Dish reception; when I called, they wanted a substantial service charge to send a tech out. (I'd been w/them for several yrs, & usually maintained credit balance.) I wasn't savvy enough then to ask to speak to another CSR or sup.
"If the answer I'm getting is no, I'm talking to the wrong person."

Looks like I'm next. Getting the kid a 32 inch 720p for Christmas. My current setup is a VIP 722 for the main screen and a 322 for two SDTV in the bedroom. I did the on-line chat as was told I can pay $299.99 for a "solo HD receiver" if I want to trade up from the 322 to something HD capable.

Been with Dish for over 4 years, surely they can do better than that. Calling again today.

The installer came this morning. He was a dish tech, not a contractor. Really cool guy. The 222k is a really nice unit. Makes me wish I had a 722k in the living room.

Now I need to run an hdmi cable to my other bedroom and get a UHF remote for TV1.

Last edited:
jlong27, glad it went smooth. Since you have a 622 and you're impressed with the 222k, care to expand on what impressed you?

I called in to do battle with CSR. Told I aren't entitled to upgrade just yet. Offered the information that my last upgrade to the ViP722 was June 2008, and included a 24 month commitment. So I would have to wait until June 2010 for an upgrade without having to buy the equipment myself. The CSR did say at the end of January, there will be a upgrade promotional available that I can take advantage of to change my HD configuration.

Ok, with that information, I can understand Dish's position. And the CSR did allow me to get what I want if I just wait 5 weeks after Christmas.

Mainly the look of the box it's self, black vs silver. And the installer unplugged the sat cable to test the signal and as soon as it was plugged back in the picture came back on. That makes me think it's going to be a little more responsive than the 622.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)