3d on dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jerryd

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
Central Wisconsin
Having just purchased a samsung 3D TV,I need to know if anyone knows if or when Dish will have ESPN and the other 3D channels that are on Direct TV ? After 11 years I hate to have to switch to Direct.

Thanks !

Jerryd

There is (surprisingly) no linear 3D channel on Dish as yet. They have some 3D PPV programs available exclusively on the 922.

Waste of time, there is more than enough data available on the Web, and information from stores such as Best Buy to show 3D just isn't ready for prime time yet, and maybe not for a long time to come.

That said, it appears besides the 922 the 722 will be able to see 3D.

I predict the bottom will fall out from 3D TV prices after Thanksgiving, and there will be fewer models next year.

HDTV was & is a waste of time for some... different tastes, myself I love 3D & wish Dish had as Directv is harder to archive...

I should have elaborated a little more, because I understand what you are saying. If there was a wealth of 3D, and the glasses went away with one standard, I know there are many who would like the experience. But even that said, it just seems to me the overall "upgrade" isn't worth it, as HD was for example. And even HD did not grow as fast as some thought. The little 3D I have been able to see is a nice novelty, but I'm not sure I could watch it all day.

So what I should have said is I think it is a waste of time for Dish at this time, not a waste of time for those who want it.

Somebody oughta tell Panasonic. They've dropped prices this year. And, the only types of models they are cutting from their lineup are the 2D ones.

Like pretty much any feature in electronics, it's just another market segmentation tool, introduced at the high end and pushed down the line until it's standard.

At this point we're at the stage where it's pretty much standard on mid-grade and above units, and you only pay extra on the low end. Next year it will probably be on all but the cheapest units, then it starts all over with "glasses free" models.

None of this means 3D is really be adopted by folks though, only that people think they want it. I think the jury is still out on real acceptance.

when I go to BB and watch Avitar on the panny 65 inch 3d, it makes me want to buy it right now; then I start thinking about wearing glasses to watch "normal" programming, and I come back to reality..
3d will never become "mainstream", until you can watch it without glasses....period
I can handle it for a 2 hour movie, but for several hours per day/per week? I can't imagine the headaches that would bring.

I have the LG55 3D set. Its awesome, and 3D is neat. I say neat because I dont know if I wanna watch it wearing the glasses (passive) all day. For material film in 3D using 3D cameras its pretty cool. My TV can do 2d-to-3d mode, but the effect is subtle, not as deep or engaging as footage shot with a 3D camera. When I saw that fish coming towards me at the Best Buy LG 3D demo, I had to get it.

I think the main problem is glasses. Who can afford 4 pairs of active shutter glasses for $600 or more? Passive is the future if 3D has any real chance to make it. Have a 5 year old kid? Guess what, one or more of those $150 glasses will be broken/lost. 2D is still the most important, I'd rather get more 2D channels at excellent quality than a few 3D ones. But a ESPN3D would be nice.

when I go to BB and watch Avitar on the panny 65 inch 3d, it makes me want to buy it right now; then I start thinking about wearing glasses to watch "normal" programming, and I come back to reality..
3d will never become "mainstream", until you can watch it without glasses....period
I can handle it for a 2 hour movie, but for several hours per day/per week? I can't imagine the headaches that would bring.
Why would you wear glasses to watch normal programming? You only need them when watching 3D.

I realize it's a lot of fun to put down stuff that is new. Perhaps the people doing it just bought TV's recently without 3D, so they need to feel like they aren't missing anything. Or, maybe they just aren't planning on buying a new TV for a while, and need to feel like they aren't missing anything. Or, they just wanna save money, and plan on buying one of the few non-3D models out now because they are dirt cheap, and they need to feel that they aren't missing anything. Of course, it could just be the usual case of Dish apologists who defend whatever dopey decisions Dish makes.

But, the fact of the matter is that the majority, or at least a huge number, of the new TV models from all of the major TV brands are 3D-capable. And, the people who own them would like some 3D programming to watch, even with those stupid glasses. That is why Comcast, FiOS, and DirecTV all provide a fair amount of 3D programming. If there was no audience for it, they would not be spending the money to provide it.

Nobody wants to watch 3D all of the time, especially with glasses. But, it would be nice to have a couple of full-time 3D channels and on-demand programming available, instead of the couple three PPV's that Dish provides. It's a perfectly valid desire.

Why would you wear glasses to watch normal programming? You only need them when watching 3D.

I realize it's a lot of fun to put down stuff that is new. Perhaps the people doing it just bought TV's recently without 3D, so they need to feel like they aren't missing anything. Or, maybe they just aren't planning on buying a new TV for a while, and need to feel like they aren't missing anything. Or, they just wanna save money, and plan on buying one of the few non-3D models out now because they are dirt cheap, and they need to feel that they aren't missing anything. Of course, it could just be the usual case of Dish apologists who defend whatever dopey decisions Dish makes.

But, the fact of the matter is that the majority, or at least a huge number, of the new TV models from all of the major TV brands are 3D-capable. And, the people who own them would like some 3D programming to watch, even with those stupid glasses. That is why Comcast, FiOS, and DirecTV all provide a fair amount of 3D programming. If there was no audience for it, they would not be spending the money to provide it.

Nobody wants to watch 3D all of the time, especially with glasses. But, it would be nice to have a couple of full-time 3D channels and on-demand programming available, instead of the couple three PPV's that Dish provides. It's a perfectly valid desire.

Well said! I LOVE 3D on my 73" Mits.:) C'mon Dish, get some 3D!!

Ed

I have the LG55 3D set. Its awesome, and 3D is neat. I say neat because I dont know if I wanna watch it wearing the glasses (passive) all day. For material film in 3D using 3D cameras its pretty cool. My TV can do 2d-to-3d mode, but the effect is subtle, not as deep or engaging as footage shot with a 3D camera. When I saw that fish coming towards me at the Best Buy LG 3D demo, I had to get it.

I think the main problem is glasses. Who can afford 4 pairs of active shutter glasses for $600 or more? Passive is the future if 3D has any real chance to make it. Have a 5 year old kid? Guess what, one or more of those $150 glasses will be broken/lost. 2D is still the most important, I'd rather get more 2D channels at excellent quality than a few 3D ones. But a ESPN3D would be nice.

Just a FYI.......Excellent active shutter glasses are available for $50 from 3D Heaven (UltraClears). I spent a total of $200 for 4 pair of 'em and prefer them to the Mits/Samsung ones. Thought you'd like to know.

Ed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts