3D Uverse hiccup?

toto

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
I've not tried ESPN3D, but Uverse does have a few VODs in 3D. Tried preview image was top to bottom split. If I'm in 3D mode on Sony HX it is still top bottom. If I go to 3D menu on the set, there are several simulated options, including top bottom. This works on Uverse and appears better than the Simulated 3D. Because it is top/bottom is it still a simulated 3D mode? If so why seven bucks for a movie? Why ten bucks for a part time channel?:D

I'm not quite getting what you are saying by simulated. There are three formats for 3D: Frame Packed (used by BD), Top/Bottom, and Side by Side. ESPN actually sends both Top/Bottom and Side by Side to the cable/sat co's and they decide which one to use.

S~

What about checkerboard? Not an hdmi 1.4a requirement but it is used in some displays like dlp's

He probably means simulated to be the 2D to 3D conversion. IMO, it it's quality ranges from worthless to goofy looking. I have it on my Sony 90ES but don't use it as a rule. Once in awhile I'll check it out. The conversion they use in film is far more accurate and looks pretty good by comparison.

I don't think that is what he's talking about. He says VOD on UVerse. . Checkerboard is a method of displaying 3D. The three mentioned are the only accepted standards.

S~

Thank you. I thought it strange that the TV always displayed 3Dautomatically and auto detected, but Uverses 3D movies were displayed top/bottom and I had to manually switch the set. All 3D source prior to this automatically switched, and again if I'm watching 3D source from all the other sources I've viewed, this option doesn't appearin the 3D menu. It only appears in the section that says "Simulated 3D" (that's options/3D menu.):D

Sounds like Uverse might not be putting the two together and requiring the TV to do it. D* was the same way when I downloaded something. I had to manually set my TV to SbS rather than auto. Didn't have to do that when I DVR'd it. Weird. Maybe it saves a little bandwidth. Who knows. Haven't VOD'd anything in a while from them so I don't know if it is still that way.

S~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts