Major manufactures start dropping 3D

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mike123abc

Too many cables
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
Is it the end of 3D TV?

Samsung 2016 models will not have 3D, LG reducing 3D to only 20% of high end TVs sold:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/3d-television-dead-samsung-lg-cut-back-3d-tv-production-1542580

Samsung will not be including 3D in any of its 2016 televisions, while LG is only adding the feature to its most expensive models, cutting the number of TVs it sells with 3D capabilities from 40% in 2015 to 20% this year. The cutbacks come after Sky canned its 3D channel and consumer interest shifts to Ultra HD and virtual reality.

Drives me nuts too, I finally found some tech with 3D I can deal with and the wife likes...

Ah well, I just bought Everest 3D...

I still think you will see it in the theater a lot, just hope we can get discs.

I have a Sony passive 3d tv..regular movie theater glasses..tv should have focused on that direction instead of those goofy active glasses

Why drop it? I mean, isn't the cost, outside of the glasses, essentially zero? It's already in the chipsets, no?

I don't know anyone who has a 3D set and never heard anyone talk about wanting one. I have some vision issues and never thought it was that good a feature.

I wonder how many 3D 4K blu-ray players will be available. The first one out is (Samsung) I would have to think LG will make at least one. Problem is both 3D and blu-ray are dying, 3D just faster. Little surprised Samsung is not having any 3D in 2016 lineup, but I don't think it is official from them.

I sure don't see Blu-ray dying. Sales go up and sales go down, but that optical media will be around longer than I will.

I almost wonder if they arent gearing up for when the chips are there to do UHD 3D. Let it die down then throw it back on you. New players, new discs... New $$$ scheme.

Reactions: DWS44
3D seems to be a ten to fifteen year cycle. It dies, only to resurface for the next generation. I recall big 3D pushes in the mid-50s, late 70s, early 90s and then 4 years ago.

Optical media could go away. I never would have guessed 25 years ago that the record album/cd would die. But I still get comfort in holding media, knowing the story won't change. Call me a Luddite, but I have the comfort of knowing that when I spin up my laserdisc, Han will shoot first.

I think the thing that keeps blu-ray and UHD alive in a physical format is the complete crap internet this country has. MP3's are easy to download.

Perhaps some licensing fee for patents or such. It probably is not a lot of $$, but when every penny counts...
Not to mention the fact I think that LG and Samsung are probably trying to cut every bit of cost that they can anywhere to try and escape the fate of the Japanese brands, with Sony being practically the only Japanese brand still selling in the US, the South Korean manufactures are likely preparing to compete with the introduction of higher quality and lower priced Chinese brands such as TCL and Hisense. Hisense acquired the Sharp brand and manufacturing base (in Mexico I think) to compete in North America. Both them and TCL are coming out with higher end models that compete head on against the best from Samsung, LG, and Sony at an attractive price point. Hisense will be offering a 4 year warranty on their 2016 4K line (oddly enough, just 1 year on the Sharp branded models).

I just bought a Samsung 8500 4K Bluray player and while it's the only one out so far, dealing with Samsung Customer Service really really sucks. I wouldn't buy another product from them if they were the last ones making them. I had trouble with them when I bought my first BluRay player and nothing's improved. After a week trying to get through to them I did today and the 8500 should be shipped next week, according to them.

Regarding 3D for 4K- It was left out of the Blu Ray standard. But I can tell you that 4K plus HDR 2020 standard 2D requires 18.2Gbit to make it work. 3D would require slightly less than double that. Present technology with even just the HDMI cables is a problem. I can tell you that 3D BluRay's upconverted to 4K with expanded color gamut on a 105" screen isn't too shaby. Projector is a Sony VPL VW665ES.

I'm also finding the the new RF Sony Glasses and the 3rd party knockoff's are much more comfortable than the older IR glasses. They seem as comfortable as passive glasses. Plus with active you aren't cutting your resolution in half.

3D TV is exciting to watch. However, different than at the movie theater where you just have to put the glasses on and watch the movie, the at home 3D use is too cumbersome. I am the only one in my house that knows or cares how to do it. I have a Vizio passive 3D TV and a Panasonic 3D Blu-Ray Player. To watch a 3D movie I Have to go through the following steps using 3 remotes:
1. Get the 3D Disc, 3D glasses and 2( TV and 3D player) remotes we normally don't use;
2 Turn on the TV R1
3 Turn on the Panasonic player R2;
4 Open the Panasonic Disc door R2;
4 Insert the 3 D Disc;
5 Close the Disc door R2;
6 Change the TV input to the Panasonic HDMI R1;
7 turn on the surround sound R3;
8 Press Play on the 3D Player R2;
9 Select 3D on the TV when prompt appears R1( you only have about 5 seconds to do this);
10 Put the glasses on and watch the 3D Disc;
11 When finished watching change TV back to satellite HDMI R1;
12 Get R3 to watch satellite TV;
13 open 3D player disc door R2;
14 remove 3D disc;
15 Shut 3D player Disc door R2;
16 Turn off 3D player R2;
17 put away 3D Disc, 3D glasses and 2 remotes.
I tried programing the satellite remote to run all 4 devices(Satellite, TV, Surround sound , and 3D player). It cannot do all the actions I needed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)