Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
3GPP Approves NB-IoT Support for Band 70
Release Date:
Monday, December 12, 2016 7:03 am MST
Terms:
Dateline City:
ENGLEWOOD, Colo.

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ:DISH) announced today that the Third Generation Partnership Project (3GPP), the global wireless standards body, formally approved narrowband internet of things (NB-IoT) support for Band 70. 3GPP specifications will enable the development of NB-IoT devices and network infrastructure using Band 70, among other potential uses for the band.

“This latest milestone positions DISH to bring new wireless broadband capacity as well as connectivity for the next generation of IoT devices in the coming 5G ecosystem,” said Tom Cullen, DISH executive vice president of Corporate Development.

3GPP’s NB-IoT standards create a foundation for the development of wireless infrastructure and devices that support extended coverage for low-cost and densely deployed devices that can feature a battery life of up to 10 years.

Band 70, which was approved in June of this year, already supports LTE-Advanced Pro and combines three spectrum blocks encompassing DISH’s current AWS-4 spectrum as downlink (2000-2020 MHz), DISH's H block downlink spectrum (1995-2000 MHz), and unpaired AWS-3 uplink spectrum (1695-1710 MHz) held by entities in which DISH has invested.

DISH and the entities in which it has invested have on average almost 80 MHz of spectrum nationwide, covering over 23 billion MHz-POPs.

Reactions: charlesrshell
3GPP Approves NB-IoT Support for Band 70
Release Date:
Monday, December 12, 2016 7:03 am MST
Terms:
Dateline City:
ENGLEWOOD, Colo.

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ:DISH) announced today that the Third Generation Partnership Project (3GPP), the global wireless standards body, formally approved narrowband internet of things (NB-IoT) support for Band 70. 3GPP specifications will enable the development of NB-IoT devices and network infrastructure using Band 70, among other potential uses for the band.

“This latest milestone positions DISH to bring new wireless broadband capacity as well as connectivity for the next generation of IoT devices in the coming 5G ecosystem,” said Tom Cullen, DISH executive vice president of Corporate Development.

3GPP’s NB-IoT standards create a foundation for the development of wireless infrastructure and devices that support extended coverage for low-cost and densely deployed devices that can feature a battery life of up to 10 years.

Band 70, which was approved in June of this year, already supports LTE-Advanced Pro and combines three spectrum blocks encompassing DISH’s current AWS-4 spectrum as downlink (2000-2020 MHz), DISH's H block downlink spectrum (1995-2000 MHz), and unpaired AWS-3 uplink spectrum (1695-1710 MHz) held by entities in which DISH has invested.

DISH and the entities in which it has invested have on average almost 80 MHz of spectrum nationwide, covering over 23 billion MHz-POPs.
What does all this mean in layman's terms?

I just saw that my internet provider was given a Federal grant to supply LTE internet with speeds of 50mps to rural areas. That would be 10 times faster than the radio broadband I get now. I wonder how this technology would compare. It would also allow a 350GB per month data cap.

I just saw that my internet provider was given a Federal grant to supply LTE internet with speeds of 50mps to rural areas. That would be 10 times faster than the radio broadband I get now. I wonder how this technology would compare. It would also allow a 350GB per month data cap.
if you do not mind who is your internet provider i am still waiting for frontier to lay fiber where we live in our town. i am doing 24 down and 2 up and when you are trying to upload videos all the time to youtube and it takes you a hour to hour a half for a 5 min video. it stinks and the only provider when you have in town is mediacom and you pay out of the behind for fast internet.