3rd ViP 622 failure. What to do w/ recordings

Miner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Fellas,

My 3rd 622 has decided it wants to reboot continuously after 6 weeks of flawless operation. My first box lost the HDMI connector, the second box went into spontaneous reboot after a few months (although after a weekend of reboots it ran solid until the 3rd box arrived. Hopefully this 3rd box will recover on its own, and I'll wait a day or 2 before calling dish.

My question is now that I'll be on box 4, what can I do to preserve the recordings on my external drive? I'm tempted to mount the drive on my PC and copy all the recordings to a temp folder on the computer, and then once the new 622 reformats the external drive, copy back the recordings to the external. Does anybody have experience with this? Hopefully with CES Dish will announce the removal of the 3 moves of an external drive and I'll be ok.

I don't know what the deal is with the 622s. At this point I regret sending my first box. I could have connected via component, but my OCD wouldn't let me sleet at night knowing it wasn't working.

Miner

You know, I think people abuse the ceo@echostar.com e-mail address, but I think this is an instance where I would use it.

Tell them your next 622 will be your 4th and you're getting tired of it. Tell them you don't want another 622, that you want a 722 and for all your trouble you think it is only fair that there is no extra cost for it.

I say that with an edge, but be as nice as you can about it. Only get mean if they leave you no choice.

Fellas,

I may go with the CEO folks and try for a 722, but I believe that when I plug in my external hard drive to my new box (622 or 722) I will have exceeded the number of transfers and the receiver will either reformat my external drive or not mount the drive. My problem as I understand is the limit of moving the external drive between a maximum of 3 receivers.

Miner

So what about this, copy everything back to a 622, reformat the external harddrive and copy it all back to the hard drive, i thought i read somewhere that the counter starts again when you reformat the drive. Others who have done this may know for sure.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-hd...-drive-archive-bug-thread-13.html#post1117415 it seems once empty the counter starts again

Edit: Miner saw your response, oh well that counts that out then, sorry not nuch help was i :)

I am thinking the 3-receiver limit is an artificial restriction they can override if necessary.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)