4:2:0 VS 4:2:2

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
honestly I dont think they do...at least not here in North America

There is very few 4:2:2 channels out there 24/7 that I know of. The GDMX mux on G16 is the most prominent example but Lyngsat lists it as "feeds"

Sports feeds are usually the big one that uses 4:2:2 but you dont know until you scan it in. I've seen 4:2:2 sports feeds use symbol rates as low as 3038

I was watching the GDMX mux last night on my FTA computer card and knew it was 4:2:2, but wondered if it possibly was listed anywhere.

Funny thing is that the FTA computer card never worked while a wireless Ethernet PCI card was installed in the same computer. I knew I had a good signal from the 6' dish, but the card never picked channels up. I then wondered if the antenna from the wireless card was interfering, so I removed it and ran an Ethernet cable to my computer instead. The FTA card has worked great ever since.

I was watching the GDMX mux last night on my FTA computer card and knew it was 4:2:2, but wondered if it possibly was listed anywhere.

Funny thing is that the FTA computer card never worked while a wireless Ethernet PCI card was installed in the same computer. I knew I had a good signal from the 6' dish, but the card never picked channels up. I then wondered if the antenna from the wireless card was interfering, so I removed it and ran an Ethernet cable to my computer instead. The FTA card has worked great ever since.
Which computer card are you using? I saw an old post where you were debating between getting a Twinhan or a Genpix, and both of those would work with TSREADER, and TSREADER will tell you if it's 4.2.2 or not.
But yeah, Lyngsat doesn't seem to tell you.
If your card isn't TSREADER compatable, you should be able to record some video, then feed the file into TSREADER, provided that you get the PMT recorded, because I think that info is in the PMT, although I'm not positive about that.

How do you know if a certain signal is 4:2:0 vs 4:2:2? I don't see this information listed within Lyngsat.

If you have a typical 4:2:0 receiver that breaks out into a multicolor blotch of nonsense, it probably is 4:2:2 (unless your signal strength is really poor).

You can also analyze signals with software like TSREADER or Transedit using a PCI card and you can find out the chroma info that way.

According to my list here are the 4:2:2 transponders I have seen on C Band:

101 AMC4/AMC2
V 3773 Daystar 4:2:2

99 GALAXY 16
H 3928 Televisa Feed 4:2:2
V 3823 GDMX 4:2:2
V 4101 ABC 4:2:2

oh and lyngsat does make a note on some of those 4:2:2 channels

20562iv.jpg

2u6fok1.jpg

Last edited:
What in the heck is all this 4:2:x stuff about?

Thanks! :)

Dee, some uplinkers use a higher quality chroma sampling ratio (4:2:2 instead of 4:2:0) on their uplinks. Usually (almost always), these channels are feeds that come and go. Most regular DVB receivers won't display 4:2:2, but the AZBox and Quali-TV will, as will some commercial receivers. A PC-based FTA tuner, such as the one you are using, will display 4:2:2 feeds with the appropriate CODEC files installed on the computer.

What in the heck is all this 4:2:x stuff about?

Thanks! :)
In a nutshell, 4:2:2 video works well with studio video processing, especially with overlays and everything of that nature. 4:2:0, not so well.

The makeup of of 4:2:0 is that for every 2x2 pixel group, there is only one chroma pixel for the four luma. 4:2:2 doubles that to two chroma for four luma, or one chroma for every 1 high by 2 wide pixel group.

In a nutshell, 4:2:2 video works well with studio video processing, especially with overlays and everything of that nature. 4:2:0, not so well.

The makeup of of 4:2:0 is that for every 2x2 pixel group, there is only one chroma pixel for the four luma. 4:2:2 doubles that to two chroma for four luma, or one chroma for every 1 high by 2 wide pixel group.

Ummmmm........ Ok... I guess. :confused:

Too heavy for me. :eek:

I'm guessing that the bottom line is that it isn't anything I should be getting excited over? No secret HD channels hidden away in some alien transmissions that have really cool shows I'm guessing.

I just had to ask, I see you guys talk about this from time to time and I was just wondering what the heck it is. This is one of the more cryptic topics y'all have covered.

Thank you though for taking the time to try to explain it for me.. :)

Sports feeds like to use 4:2:2 and since we know your view on sports :rolleyes: you wouldnt have to worry much about whether a feed or channel is 4:2:2 ;)

thanks for the explanation, I also didn't know what the difference was!
And since pretty much anything I watch is either sports or news, I guess Im gonna need something to decode those feeds

Lyngsat is very inaccurate there is another list out there that is very up to date but im not sure if its allowed to put a rival site in here.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)