4:2:2(what all do i need)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kc5qih

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 25, 2005
Okay so i'll be getting my new FTA system on Friday, with teh Fortec Receiver, dish, motor, the whole spill..but it seems like there is a lot of stuff that is 4:2:2 digital; of course i don't have the cash for a commercial 4:2:2 receiver, and ive been reading here in the forum but am a little more confused now than when i started. I keep reading about a "skystar 2" pci card..would that work for 4:2:2. I've got about 100 bucks to spend on PCI card, and if it would work, what is this i keep hearing about having to use other software to watch 4:2:2 and how would i run it off the same 1 satellite as my fortec receiver is going to be on(some sort of splitter) Sorry if this questions seems elementary but i've learned the only dumb questions are the ones you dont ask(well most of the time anyway)

so is there any kind of other software that you have to purchase to make it work; also could i somehow slave the card to my existing Mpeg2 Receiver that only does 4:2:0; or would i have to just get some sort of splitter or switch,i plan on running a uniden analog receiver for the analog stuff; and the Fortec for 4:2:0 digital and would like the pci for 4:2:2 so i can catch pretty much everything that isnt encrypted.

The software players (MyTheatre, DVB dream, etc) need a "Codec" which will correctly display the video. The one which works for 4:2:2 is Elecard codec.

But if you use "VLC" with TSreader than you won't need any codec's

Pardon me for my ignorance of this topic but exactly what "VLC" with TSreader ? It seems like if there isnt anything additional needed with it that would be the way to go. Also is there anything out there with blind search and if not how would i run it off the same dish as my Fortec receiver?

You'd still need a card, the twinhan suggestion works just fine.

VLC is a media player along the lines of Windows Media player. TSReader is powerful tool for analyzing the stream.

Another suggestion to pair with a Twinhan would be DVB Apps. . I use this with a Broadlogic 2030 card, it works great on 4:2:2 signals as well as HD.

kc5qih said:
Pardon me for my ignorance of this topic but exactly what "VLC" with TSreader ? It seems like if there isnt anything additional needed with it that would be the way to go. Also is there anything out there with blind search and if not how would i run it off the same dish as my Fortec receiver?

Take the loop out from the fortec reciever and feed that into the pci card. If the fortec is on it will override the 13v/18v polarity switching for the lnb on the dish. So if your going to use the card turn off the fortec. I use MT theatre for the PC and then you can download elecard codecs and that will also do the 4.2.2 video. The best thing you can do is research and read a lot. It's not easy at all the first time to set up a motorized dish and if you don't do enough research before you try it you will get discouraged and give up on it.

I'm watching 4.2.2 delayed with a Nokia Mediamaster 9200/9500/9600 (a.k.a. "d-Box" in Germany) with firmware "DVB2000" over SCSI on my PC.
The Dreambox can show 4.2.2 direct on TV and the "d-Box 2" can stream it live over Ethernet to every PC in your LAN. If you wanna have one of this boxes, please search for it on eBay Germany ( www.ebay.de ) with keywords "d-Box 1", "d-box 2" or "Dreambox". The Euro has nearly the same height as the US-Dollar.

btw ... the Topfield TF 5000 PVR can record 4.2.2 on its harddisk and you can watch it later over USB on your PC.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)