Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ramy

The Star Wars Collector Podcast
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 27, 2004
Here
I have a 4:3 television and am using the HD Tivo. When I watch a HD program the picture is stretch top to bottom and I have tried everything as far a settings that shows in the book to use. Is there something wrong with my tivo or is that what is supposed to happen? The manual says it will fill the top and bottom with grey bars but it doesn't.

your probably having the opposite of what I get widescreen image shrunk to a std. size. Does your TV have a 16:9 viewing option ?

Yes it has a 1080i option but I was hoping it would have the same option as the Hird E86 Hughes box I have so I don't have to switch anything at all.

Go into the menu on the HD Tivo, somewhere in there you'll find some video settings. Fiddle with them and you might find something that helps.

Ramy I have the same problem with my 4x3 Toshiba with the HD Tivo. I can go into the TV setup and change to 1080i mode and it works fine but when I go back to SD then I have to change it back. My Toshiba worked just fine with the Dish Network 6000 HD receiver but it had more setup options than the HD Tivo. I guess it might be time for a 16x9 HD TV but the Toshiba has such a great picture and I hate to go out and spend the money when 70 percent of my viewing is SD.

4x3 FEATURE for 16x9 Sets.

MikeHDTulsa said:
Ramy I have the same problem with my 4x3 Toshiba with the HD Tivo. I can go into the TV setup and change to 1080i mode and it works fine but when I go back to SD then I have to change it back. My Toshiba worked just fine with the Dish Network 6000 HD receiver but it had more setup options than the HD Tivo. I guess it might be time for a 16x9 HD TV but the Toshiba has such a great picture and I hate to go out and spend the money when 70 percent of my viewing is SD.

I have a 16x9 Hitachi, and this is a FEATURE for me ;) . I have my HDTiVo setup for 4x3. When I watch a SD picture, I use the 480p output. On my Hitachi, I set the geometry for 480p to be 4x3 expanded. This stretches the picture to the edge and overstretches the picture top to bottom slightly. The picture is watchable for me. For HD pictures, I select the 1080i output. On my Hitachi, I set the geometry for 1080i to be 16x9 normal.
I for 1 do not want Hughes to change the way this feature works unless they provide a 4x3 expanded view. The 4x3 stretch mode is just too extreme for my eyes. The Hitachi I have is the 65x500. It lets you set independent display modes for each input. For the HD inputs, it also allows you to select a display mode for HD and SD mode. :cool:

The only thing I want them to add is the same features that are already there for the 480i and 480p outputs, that is to have the bars at the top and the bottom of the screen. For some reason my tivo will not add those bars when I have it set to 1080i. If anyone else gets it to work please let me know so I can have my tivo replaced.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)