4 day customer, had to fight with CSRs to change Receivers

skiz77

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2005
I just got hooked up on Saturday. I was supposed to get a 522 and 301 but the installer couldnt put the 522 in my basement with my surround so I got a 510 down there and 322 upstairs. This was a joint decision by installer and me at the time. I had to pick up the 510 from the installer site on Monday 1/10.

After posting on here I realized having the digital out on the receiver to my surround sound isnt that great because seems like only 1 out of 10 movies on hbo/cinemax are in dolby 5.1. So I might as well have the original order of the 522 and 301 and have dvr in two rooms.

So I call Dish today and the first CSR tells me I cannot change the order and there is no 30 day grace period as I had thought.

I call them back to talk to someone else and she tells me there is a 3 day grace period and I am 1 day late.(Apparently they count Sunday) She tells me I cannot change without paying a $49.99 fee. After telling her I want what I originally asked for and shouldnt have to pay she tells me her system shows my original order was the 322 and 510 which is total b/s. I told her the system is wrong and I can fax you the installers service order showing the 522 and 301. Apparently they don't have faxes because she didn't want me to fax her anything. I told her I obvisously didnt send the installer that service order so it must have been them. She puts me on hold and talks to supervisor, comes back and tells me I only have to pay $24.99. I said I shouldn't have to pay as brand new customer not to mention the 510 has only really been connected since Monday, 2 days ago when I picked it up and they activated it. She tells me it has been active since Saturday which again is b/s. I told her I'd bet her a million dollars the 510 receiver was just activated Monday. She puts me on hold, for some reason didn't take the bet.

Anyway then I speak with her supervisor who tells me the CSR was fair by meeting me half way...and asks me why did I wait until today to call. (What the entire 4 days??) I told her I barely got a chance to use the 510 because it was activated Monday at midnight. I should have mentioned I work 40 hours and wasn't able to watch tv all day on Mon & Tues sorry. She tells me she is going to transfer me to another area and puts me on hold. 5 min. later the CSR comes back and says they will switch it with a $49.99 charge that I can have reversed 24 hours after it posts. I took her associate # and name.

Anyway why the f.. did I have to argue with them over this? I called the installer when I was on hold with them and he said he will gladly come out and change it this weekend and since I have no contract tell them to come get the equipment if they make me pay. He said if I threaten to leave they would definitely change it for free. It didnt get to that point, but pretty close. Just thought you might be insterested in this. I really like the dvr and the guides, but man the customer service s%cked when it came to this issue.

That is complete crap. I told you not to put up with any crap from a CSR. I hope you are prepared to fight over that charge to be reversed. I'm sure it won't be as simple as she is saying. You shouldn't have to call back to have it reversed. You should have done like the installer said and basically said, "You're going to swap this immediately without any strings attached or come pick up this equipment!"

re

You're right I am going to be p%ssed if I have to argue for that $49.99 credit back. She told me they have to post the charge but it has been notated that I will get the credit back. How come I don't believe its going to be that easy. SHould have called on my cell and recorded it! ha ha

skiz77 said:
I just got hooked up on Saturday. I was supposed to get a 522 and 301 but the installer couldnt put the 522 in my basement with my surround so I got a 510 down there and 322 upstairs. This was a joint decision by installer and me at the time. I had to pick up the 510 from the installer site on Monday 1/10.

After posting on here I realized having the digital out on the receiver to my surround sound isnt that great because seems like only 1 out of 10 movies on hbo/cinemax are in dolby 5.1. So I might as well have the original order of the 522 and 301 and have dvr in two rooms.
I'm confused...doesn't the 522 have digital audio output, just like the 510???

It has been noted that the DD5.1 on the 522 for some odd reason only outputs on TV1's tuner even if you are in single mode. So if something was recorded with TV2's tuner and DD5.1 was available it will not be recorded that way. To me that seems very very stupid design. But yes the 522 does have digital audio output and DD5.1 on programs that are broadcasted with it if you use Tuner 1 to record or view the event to TV1's output.

Just to clarify. The DD5.1 sound is only on TV1. The coaxial cable does not carry the DD5.1 sound. So you sound system have to be near to the receiver(510 or 522). Also, not all the movie channels carry DD5.1. Why? Good question. :rolleyes:

Also the DD5.1 is only available when said event is viewed or recorded using TV1's Tuner and then outputed to TV1 if the event is recorded on TV2's tuner and then viewed with TV1 output no DD5.1 will be available.

Had that problem once with Direct TV box I did not like, they have a 30 day grace period. No problems.

I would try canceling the whole service threatening, to switch to Direct TV, you will get all new stuff and a few free months of service right away I bet.

Shadowtester said:
Also the DD5.1 is only available when said event is viewed or recorded using TV1's Tuner and then outputed to TV1 if the event is recorded on TV2's tuner and then viewed with TV1 output no DD5.1 will be available.
Ahaaa! So that's why a movie I recorded said it was supposed to be in DD 5.1 but it wasn't when I played it on TV1. Must have recorded it on TV2.

skiz77 said:
So I might as well have the original order of the 522 and 301 and have dvr in two rooms

Dude, you are much better off with a 510 instead of a 522..... just read the comments of Dish Network's numerous happy customers in this forum.

I'm contemplating making them TAKE MY 522 and give me ANYTHING else in return! Heck, I'm even thinking of getting cable back and buying a Tivo.....

OK, not really. But we are all getting desperate for some reliable equipment.

Shadowtester said:
It has been noted that the DD5.1 on the 522 for some odd reason only outputs on TV1's tuner even if you are in single mode. So if something was recorded with TV2's tuner and DD5.1 was available it will not be recorded that way. To me that seems very very stupid design. But yes the 522 does have digital audio output and DD5.1 on programs that are broadcasted with it if you use Tuner 1 to record or view the event to TV1's output.
To me this just seems stupid. Why intentionally make the receiver not record the DD on TV2? To me it seems easier just for the hard drive to copy exactly what is shown. This upsets me more because any movie ive bought on PPV ive made sure i selected the DD version, but i always have recorded them on tv2, and the receiever is in the bedroom (lazy installer). I figured once I buy my new home id be able to see all my recorded movies in their DD original format.

311 or 510?

522's on Ebay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)