4 defective 722k's? Or unrealistic expectations?

thegeekmaster

Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
California
I have been a Dish subscriber for 7 LONG months. During this time, I have experienced a variety of issues with the 722k and have had it replaced 3 times (am now on my 4th box).

Box 1: My problems started the day the installer came out in January. He brought a 722k and performed the installation. During the course of configuring the system it went through one of its 'normal' restarts and failed to boot up (just hung on a black screen). He made the comment that it sometimes did that and proceeded to unplug the box, count to 10, and plug it back in. Seemed 'reasonable' at the time. About 2 or 3 weeks after the installation, we noticed that when we would get up in the mornings, the system would not come on. Instead of having the Dish 'stand-by' screen it would just be black and would not respond to any buttons (remote or front panel). I don't recall, but I don't think holding the red reset button would do anything, either. The only way to get the box back was to unplug and plug it back in. This began happening more and more frequently. We also noticed that when watching television, the picture would develop square tiles (Dish referred to it as tiling) and the sound would skip. This happened on multiple channels and multiple programs. After a couple (more than one) calls to Dish they conceded that the box was probably bad and sent my a new (refurbished) one.

Box 2: So after installing the replacement box, I hoped my problems would be solved. I noticed the day we installed it that TV2 would 'smear' the picture across the screen. I hadn't even sent the original back yet and was on the phone with Dish complaining. It seemed to work just fine on TV1 (both are SD TV's) but TV2 would not display the picture properly. So Dish sent another replacement (refurb) box.

Box 3: I installed box number 3 and things seemed to be a little better for a while. But we noticed after a couple of weeks that the system would be unresponsive. We would press buttons on the remote and the system would hang for a while and then suddenly process all of the commands. It was like they were being buffered in the system for some reason. After a call to Dish (and the obligatory system restarts) they told me that it would be fixed. I've since learned that it seems to be a common problem. When it happens, I can press the button once, wait 30 seconds, and then it will process, so I know it isn't a remote problem or anything. However, we noticed the 'tiling' problem started to develop again, and as time passed, it occurred more and more. After a few months of troubleshooting to ensure it wasn't a particular channel or show or anything. We called Dish and they said the box 'may be defective' but could also be experiencing grounding problems or other issues (alignment, tree growth, etc) related to the initial installation. Since they said it could be an installation issue, I had them send a technician out with new (new) box. He came out and laughed at the idea that my problems were 'grounding' issues. He also verified that we have a well aligned and clear view of the sky.

Box 4: So the technician installed our 4th box. It seemed OK for a few days but then we started noticing the sound 'popping' on TV2. It only seems to happen on TV2. We've also noticed random reboots in the middle of recording and watching shows. We have several shows that are broken in to 2~4 min pieces as though it rebooted continually while it was recording. And we've started to see recordings pause and skip for a second occasionally. I've checked the counters section (just learned of this recently) and the average temp is 114 and the max is 140. All of the boxes have been installed on a shelf with open back and front.

So this is where I'm at now. I am on my 4th box and starting to see more and more issues. All of the boxes have been 722k's and each seems to have developed different issues. I know that no technology is perfect, but this seems to be excessive for a 6~7 month window. I see I have 3 basic options.

A) I can have Dish send another 722k. Will this REALLY fix the problem?

B) I can try to convince Dish to send a different box (922/612). But I want DVR capabilities in 3 different rooms (connected by COAX) so this could require multiple DVRs or some sort of modulator to convert the RCA outputs to COAX. While I have an SD tv right now, we are going to be upgrading to an HD tv soon.

C) I can try to convince Dish to let me out of the contract and switch to the other company. This will cost me an extra $30 or so per month.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

You are not alone,
subscriber since last September and have had three receivers ,
they are 722 vip also have one more 722 that has never been replace and still works. like you the first one was bad on install.I checked for ground loops and
also have them on a ups .you temp does sound a little high so i would get a fan .
I have found their stuff to be very buggy and requires frequent reboots.
I had the d stuff in the same spot for 15 years and never had a receiver fail.
I did replace them three time as i moved up to dvr then years later to hd but had my dtv tivio box for ten years and it still would work if i had service with them.
Just get a new box and wait out your contract.I would not try for any different reciver they might extend you contract

I've got a 722k that has been flawless since day 1, so it isn't an inherent problem with 722ks. As Lineman said, your temps seem a little high. Also, mine is on a UPS that I got because my Direct HR at the time, would reboot anytime the power flickered just a little.

I think the problem is either the heat, although yours don't seem horrible, just a little high, or something other than the 722k. Do you have any other Dish receivers, or is this a one receiver setup?

BTW, the booting problem you saw on the first one could be because they had the OTA module in it when it was initialized. There have been reports that can cause a problem when initializing, which can also lead to other issues afterwards. You are supposed to init/authorize without the OTA module being in place, then after all is good, install the OTA module.

While you could switch to a different DVR (like the 622 or 722 non K), it might not fix the problem. If you got a 612, it most likely wouldn't fill your needs.

As to extending your contract, E* is pretty darned good about that not happening on a repair/replacement, which is not the case with D*.

Just a thought, as i am an installer. Try ungrounding your system. I know, it supposed to be grounded, but on occasion something may short out near the ground and cause it to be a "hot" ground.

And also, might think about checking the electrical receptical you have your equipment plugged into. If the tech didnt check with a recepticle tester to be sure the recepticle was wired correctly, it can cause issues, especially if its a reverse grounded recepticle.

My 722K went crazy one time and was doing the reboots during recordings and the picture would freeze.

I pulled the plug, rebooted, did a check switch and a guide download and it's been smooth sailing every since. As a matter of fact, the 722K (w/OTA Module) is without a doubt my favorite Dish receiver ever.

I hope you get to the bottom of your problem. This seems like it may be something other than the receiver.

You are getting stray voltage from some place.

As noted above either from the ground point, a bad electrical socket, or possibly back from the TV. I have had all of these cause problems. I have also had wall warts from things like cordless phones on the same breaker circuit cause problems.

If you are plugged into a power strip, try pluggin straight into the wall. If you are just plugged into the wall, get one of those 2 prong adapters to lift the ground. You can try removing the ground wire on the system as mentioned above. As a last resort if nothing else works try a different tv.

These are all things I have found over the years that will cause problems like you describe.

One last thing you did not mention if you have a switch in the system. Is it installed with the this side up, up?

reversed polarity

It could also be possible that you have reversed polarity on the plug. Where the hot & neutral have been wired backwards on the plug. You really need to check the plug w/ an electrical detector to find you problem. In fat there is also the possibility that you have an intermittent connection as well or the ground is leaking voltage too. All of those will destroy equipment that has the 3 pin AC plug on it but not bother those that have only 2 pins wired.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts