Finding a dish for tailgating

thehumancow

Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
Charleston, SC
I'm sure that y'all are tired of tailgating questions by now, but I have a couple more for you :) I have a VIP211k receiver in my bedroom that I'd like to take tailgating in Clemson, SC this year. I'm in Charleston, SC right now. What dish do I need? I know that I'm hitting satellites 119, 110, and 129 at home, so would I need Amazon.com: Dish Network 1000.2 Dish 110, 119, 129 Satellites High Definition?@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21EI%2BmBoniL.@@AMEPARAM@@21EI%2BmBoniL, or would something else work? I know that I'm going to need a tripod to set it on, too.

In addition, would something like this be worth picking up: Amazon.com: Eagle Aspen Satellite Meter: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41cigby6rrL.@@AMEPARAM@@41cigby6rrL I have a Droid, and I see a couple satellite finder apps on the Marketplace. Can I just use one of those in lieu of a meter and, if so, which one's the best?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Hi, you may be able to get by with an used Dish 500 - easy to find for cheep on craigslist.

Some of the things to consider are you wanting to get locals? Will you be in the spot beam pattern when you go portable? You may be out of the beam so you might not be able to get the locals.

Depending on what you figure from above and what satellites you will need you may be able to get by with just one or two satellites.

You can use the DishChannelChart link above or hit the info button twice on your remote to find out what satellites your favourite channels are on.

A Dish 500 can be used on 61.5 and 72.7, or 110 and 119, or 119 and 129. Or you can use the single DP LNB and make a simple to use one satellite system that would work on any one of the satellites above.

BTW - I have one of those simple squeal meters - they can really help find the satellite fast but take a little getting used to.I use it as a tool to get near the satellite then use the meter in the receiver to finish the peaking. Hope this helps, DC

Yes get yourself a 1000.2 and it will give you the same satellites you have at home. Look up the pointing of the dish (the sqew and elevation settings) for the area you are going to use it.

Just make sure that what ever you are going to mount the dish on, is plumb. All you need to do is go to the signal strength screen (menu -6-1-1). Put the 119 satellite with transponder 11 in the settings. Then slowly turn your dish from due south to south west. At some point you will see the signal come up on the meter. Once you get it to its highest signal strength lock the dish down. Then you can check and see you have signal on the 110 and 129.

Something you may want to do is go to a local channel on your receiver, then goto the signal strength screen (menu-6-1-1) This will tell you what satellite and transponder your local channel comes in on. Also any other channel that you may want to watch while out there, do the same thing. Then you can check the signals to make sure you have those channels.

I would not be suprised that you will be able to get your locals being that you are gonna be pretty close.