4 identical speakers with only 2 channels?

george99

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
I have a Denon AVR-X4000.
On zone 2, I want to connect 4 speakers to the 2 channels. All 4 speakers are the exact same model.
Speakers are Polk Audio MC80.
Is there a good way to do this that will not harm the avr or the speakers?

It all depends upon the ohm rating of the speakers and what the receiver will tolerate. Have you checked the owners manual for the answer?

Probably the only safe way to do it is run them in series. Specs say those are 8 Ohm speakers, so running them in series would double the Ohms and halve the power. Running them parallel would halve the Ohms and double the power, but I doubt the X4000 is capable of 4-Ohm loads for very long.

I'm confident the x4000 can do 16-Ohms and since we are only talking 4 speakers, maybe get 50 watts RMS per speaker. I wouldn't run anything on Zone 1 while doing this though.

Wiring in series. (+) from AVR to (+) on Speaker #1, (-) from AVR to (-) on Speaker #2, and connect speaker wire from (-) Speaker #1 to (+) Speaker #2.

Another thing to contemplate is any automatic room correction ( like Audyssey ) you'll be using. It might give you some strange results IF the two speakers are far apart but shouldn't be a problem if stacking speakers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)