4 Legacy Receivers with a DPP44

scottcorinna

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
West Linn, OR
I wanted to get a jump on my future purchase of a 942 and installed a DPP44 today to use with a 6000 receiver and three 2800 receivers. (I'll eventually replace two of the 2800's and move my 6000 to the bedroom.)

I can get ports 1 thru 3 to work but none of the receivers see port 4.

From everything I've read I should be able use any of these receivers on any of the ports.

The DPP44 is fed by a DP twin for 110/119. I don't need to see any other birds at this time.

What the heck am I doing wrong. :confused:

Scott

Is the power inserter on the same line going to output port 1 of the 44 swtich?

Also...

At what point during the install of your switch did you plug in your power inserter off port 1? Were all the lines of your system connected?

(tid bits and remedial install tips)

You may have dialectric on the center conductor of your connecter to port 4. Be sure to check inside "Sat in" to your receiver as well.

Also look for braided wire touching the center conductor on your connections as well. Both of these are signal killers.

The power inserter is on port one but I didn't have all my feeds plugged in first. I have swapped feeds at the switch to different receivers and still no feed from port 4.

I'm just replacing a SW64 with the DP44 so I know all the feeds are good.

Just a thought

Inspecting the cables is a good suggestion. Have you also tried swapping the cables, i.e., swapping cables on receiver ports 3 & 4 to see if the problem stays with port 4 or changes to port 3.

Luck.

Ooops... see you did this already...

If I remember correctly, at least ONE of your receivers has to be DishPro. Im sure Simon will chime in shortly to confirm or deny.

You need 1 DP receiver when using a DP+ Twin. This is because the switch needs the 20V to power the DP LNBs installed in it. With the DP+44, you have a power inserter, so it shouldn't be neccessary. However, it may just be a bad switch. Was it new, or did you get it used. Also, do you have access to a friends DP receiver to test on port 4 and installed in the system?

It's a new switch and unfortunately none of my friends have upgraded to DP yet.

It's raining now so my trouble shooting is over for tonight.

Thanks for all the help. This has got to be one of the most helpful sites on the net.

Scott

The DPP44 has a very tight seal on the center conductor (kind of a spongey material in there). Make sure the center wire on port 4 found the hole.

Sounds like a personal problem to me. :D

I'll check. I've also read that the center conductor needs to be a little longer than normal so I'll crimp on some new connectors.

Thanks

Iceberg is correct without have the DP tuner it will do some funky stuff. I have seen it happen a guy had 3 2800's we informed him that it doesn't work like that we gave it a try. None of them would see the 121 off the dp44 but did off of the dp34 popped in his 522 on the first port and wallah, everything reads fine. Get yourself a dp tuner and give it a try, heck even borrow one for now to check it out

Well.... I put a new connector on the cable that goes to port four leaving the center conductor a little long and low and behold the damn thing works.

I swapped out three and four just to see what would happen and the cable from three won't work in four. I guess port fours connector is just off enough that it needs a longer center conductor.

Thanks to one and all for the suggestions.

Scott

By the way all receivers (A 6000 and three 2800's) are working great.

Iceberg said:
You need at least one DP tuner to make it work

Since all 4 are Legacy, that might be the issue

This issue only affects the DP+ Twin as I stated above, since the DP receiver is needed to power the Twin. The DP+44 has power insertion, so it doesn't matter if he has all legacy or no. They should all show the switch as an SW21-4Sat. I believe you also have to check the superdish all box on teh check swicth screen as well to kick the checks to 50.

yes a DPP 44 should work on legacy receivers only in the lineup but we have all seen weird anomolies with mixing series to get it to work. Just throwing out suggestions