4 TV's (2 HD)...how can I make this work?

cb4774

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
IL
Hey everyone-

As you can see, I'm new here...long time lurker, first time poster.

I currently have a 522 and a 322 that handle the four TV's in my house; two of those TV's are HDTV's (they share the 522) and are being underutilized. I'm looking to add HD service and I'm trying to figure out what receivers I need and would be able to lease, in order to have HD service on the two HDTV's and still have SD service on the other two sets.

I contacted E* customer service, first by online chat and later by phone to see if it would be possible to lease two 622's, as this would take care of both HDTV's as well as the two SD TV's. From everything the two CSR's told me, it appears that E* will not lease two 622's on the same account. Is that correct or am I missing something? I guess maybe a 622 and a 222 would do the trick, if E* would allow that, but ideally, I would like to have DVR service on both of the HDTV's.

I've had service for about 2 1/2 years at this point and other than the replacement of my first 522 within the first month of service, I have nothing but good things to say about E*. That being said, the seeming inability to lease two 622's may lead me to Comcast, as it appears that multiple DVR's can be leased; if I had the expendable income, I'd purchase a 622 from the Dish Store and lease the other, but that's not an option right now.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading and just for the record, reading posts on this board a few years back is what swayed me to leave Comcast for E* to begin with.

Thanks again,
Chris

From everything the two CSR's told me, it appears that E* will not lease two 622's on the same account

That is not true. For our customers that want 2 622's we usually sell them a 622&322 up front then they can do a "Dishing it up"(DIU) and replace the 322 with a 622 for about $150 (sometimes it can be done a week after the initial sale). In your situation you can do a DIU and replace your 322 with a 622, you would have DVR in all rooms with 1 HD, then you could either buy a 622 outright (at about $500) or wait a year and do another DIU and replace the 522 w/622. You will need to have the house rewired a bit because you will need a 622 at each HD tv, but the installer should be able to handle that.

Some have luck getting 2 622s leased by going through the executive office via ceo@echostar.com.

Thanks Mike, I e-mailed the executive office late last night and much to my surprise (considering yesterday was the 4th), I heard back from a rep before noon today. A couple of e-mails later, just to confirm that I wanted to upgrade to HD service and that I was looking to lease two 622's and the install was scheduled for this Tuesday (7/10).

Hopefully, by this time Tuesday, the 1000.2 dish and both receivers will be installed and I'll be up and running.

Thanks again!

Chris

If you don't watch both HDTVs at the same time, you can do as I do by running HDMI to HDTV1 and Component to HDTV2. This doesn't work for everyone but I do this with the HDTV in my family room and in my bedroom. I can then access all of my recordings from one box in HD which makes it easier than scheduling programming on two different DVRs. It also saves on the 622 lease costs and extra box fee.

I also have a standard signal through the RF modulator (coax) running to HDTV2 in case of the rare instance that both HDTVs want to watch TV independently. Of course when running like this in dual mode, HDTV2 is forced to watch SD.

Then you can get one SD-DVR for the other two rooms.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts