4 yo hopper 3 potential issue

runningman

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2003
I would appreciate any feedback on clicking sounds (louder over the last few months) coming from a 4 year old hopper 3? Is it a potential hard drive issue with my H3 or normal operating operations? I appreciate any thoughts? If HD is failing, does Dish need to do an install or can they send one to me to swap out and mail back defective unit. Thanks for the feedback.

I would appreciate any feedback on clicking sounds (louder over the last few months) coming from a 4 year old hopper 3? Is it a potential hard drive issue with my H3 or normal operating operations? I appreciate any thoughts? If HD is failing, does Dish need to do an install or can they send one to me to swap out and mail back defective unit. Thanks for the feedback.
I cannot imagine anything inside an H3 that makes a clicking noise other than the disk. I suspect it's about to fail. Please move all recordings to an EHD immediately before it dies completely.

I believe Dish can send you a replacement and let you swap the hardware yourself. You might require the protection plan to do that.

Reactions: HipKat
I cannot imagine anything inside an H3 that makes a clicking noise other than the disk.
Usually hard drives make that kind of noise. (The wifey's old hp laptop would make that clicking sound now and then. It never died though.)
I don't think Hopper has SSD. Just a hard drive and a fan I reckon.
I would call and ask if they could send u a new one, assuming it is a leased unit.

In the biz, it's called the "click of death". Sign that it's about to go. I'd call Dish and have them send you a new one while you have a chance to get your recordings off the internal drive to an EHD. Problem is that I would guess that Dish won't send you a new drive until your current one really dies.

So I wouldn't keep too many recordings on it that you can't afford to lose.

As always thanks for for the help, backing up HD now and calling later this am to see what Dish says.

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)