40.0 plus H3 = 4x FF?

JaredG

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 12, 2004
I recently upgraded my HWS setup to a Hopper 3 and two Joey 2.0 receivers. My only real complaint is that I don't have the 4x fast forward capability that I had with my old equipment.
A chat with customer service suggested that the lack of 4x speed was a function of the 52.0 remote.
I see that the 40.0 remote is also listed for the H3. Can anyone verify whether it will allow 4x fast forward capability with the H3?

Sent from my SM-G920V using the SatelliteGuys app!

No. 4X speed was removed from the Carbon UI. It has nothing to do with the remote.

Reactions: DWS44
I recently upgraded my HWS setup to a Hopper 3 and two Joey 2.0 receivers. My only real complaint is that I don't have the 4x fast forward capability that I had with my old equipment.
A chat with customer service suggested that the lack of 4x speed was a function of the 52.0 remote.
I see that the 40.0 remote is also listed for the H3. Can anyone verify whether it will allow 4x fast forward capability with the H3?

Another fail for Dish CSR's. The model of the remote makes no difference. The 4X speed selection is gone, and I hear it's gone for good.

Reactions: TheLip and DWS44
That's disappointing. I had my hopes up there for a few minutes. I can't imagine why they would want to disable the 4x speed.
I wonder what the best way is to convey our desire to get this back? Is there a petition or something like that?

Reactions: TheLip
4x speed is yet another advantage of keeping the old software interface on my 2 HWS and Joey 2 receivers. New is not always better. Since I don't have a 4K TV there is no advantage for the Hopper 3. With 2 HWS receivers, 2 OTA dongles, and PTAT, I have never had any tuner conflicts. Plus I can use dish anywhere on both receivers.

Can I ask what you use 4x for that you are so heart broken about losing itr? I don't think I have ever really needed it since Dish has the 30 second skip forward and 10 second skip back buttons. 4-5 presses of skip forward gets me right past commercials usually.

I used 4X frequently with sports programming. The 4X speed, to me, easily let you "catch up" when watching delayed, or move through slow action in a game, but was a slow enough speed to see what was happening and not to totally fly by something important. 15X is too fast to easily use this way, IMO. I agree that skip ahead/back is perfectly sufficient for commercial breaks. Many folks seem to automatically think "Commercials!" when talking about trick play options, but there are/were use cases outside of commercial breaks where FF/REW while seeing what's is on screen is useful.

Reactions: dennispap
I used 4X frequently with sports programming. The 4X speed, to me, easily let you "catch up" when watching delayed, or move through slow action in a game, but was a slow enough speed to see what was happening and not to totally fly by something important. 15X is too fast to easily use this way, IMO. I agree that skip ahead/back is perfectly sufficient for commercial breaks. Many folks seem to automatically think "Commercials!" when talking about trick play options, but there are/were use cases outside of commercial breaks where FF/REW while seeing what's is on screen is useful.
I hear you, I just know there are many folks like my Inlaws who grew up in the VCR mindset who still use the fast forward to get through commercials and then have to mash stop, then rewind a bunch, then overshoot, and have to fast forward again. They never quite got that the skip forward/back was there. I guess I can see where the 4x came in handy for sports but I have been using RedZone due to my fantasy football proclivities and with their lack of commercials life is good. As they say, it is what it is now. RIP 4x.

Reactions: pattykay
I hope everyone that wants 4x FF/REW back is telling Dish. I called last weekend to tell them I want it back and to speed up my HWS as they were before CUI. I also mentioned getting 9 things I didn't search for when doing a search. I said all I care about is what I searched for not what other people are searching for. The next day I did a search and only got my search results not the other 9! The results screen completly changed to something useful to me.

I hope everyone that wants 4x FF/REW back is telling Dish. I called last weekend to tell them I want it back and to speed up my HWS as they were before CUI. I also mentioned getting 9 things I didn't search for when doing a search. I said all I care about is what I searched for not what other people are searching for. The next day I did a search and only got my search results not the other 9! The results screen completly changed to something useful to me.

Are you implying that DISH somehow rewrote the software and pushed it to your particular receiver in less than 24 hours because you called to complain?

Reactions: Dudleydog73
Too bad it doesn't work like that. I'm totally with you on the search thing. I didn't search for those other things. I searched for one. And even when you then select the one, the search misses most of the exact programs you are searching for.

Like DWS44, I use the 4x FF for scanning through the slow parts of sporting events so I can catch up without missing anything. That 15x speed is too fast for my brain to process. :)

I have a hard time accepting that 4x is gone for good without some sort of explanation. In my chat the CSR mentioned that they would submit a report about my request for the 4x speed - for whatever that's worth.

I wonder what the best way to communicate our feature requests might be? I suppose I can hit up a CSR every now and then unless there's a more formal method.

Reactions: dweber
Are you implying that DISH somehow rewrote the software and pushed it to your particular receiver in less than 24 hours because you called to complain?
I'm saying that my search result screen is now different. Before it would show what I searched for at the top listed as option 0 with options 1-9 below that showing some kind of trending searches. Now I get only my search results in categories like Movies, TV shows...

I'm saying that my search result screen is now different. Before it would show what I searched for at the top listed as option 0 with options 1-9 below that showing some kind of trending searches. Now I get only my search results in categories like Movies, TV shows...

And that was because you called DISH and complained, or maybe magic?

The CSR said I needed something downloaded. He was going to pass that on to engeineering and I should wait 2 days. Sounded like BS to me but my search result screen changed the next day.

My search screen changes all the time. Sometimes 1 Hopper returns different search results than another one here. And they do download new stuff all the time, especially overnight, so I guess the CSR wasn't that wrong. :biggrin

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts