40 channels for $40

Status
Please reply by conversation.

danristheman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
85w
I talk to directv I gave them an idea what about 40 channels for $40 sd channels. $1 per SD channel and or $2 per HD channel you still have to pay extra for sports and movies packages. What do you guys think? So you can choose what channels that you want. You don't go to the store and pay for food that you don't eat. I don't like womens channels so why do I need them.

Dan Rose

I talk to directv I gave them an idea what about 40 channels for $40 sd channels. $1 per SD channel and or $2 per HD channel you still have to pay extra for sports and movies packages. What do you guys think? So you can choose what channels that you want. You don't go to the store and pay for food that you don't eat. I don't like womens channels so why do I need them.

Dan Rose

Good luck with that ...

Also I wouldn't want to pay $2 for each HD channel either.

$ 40 for 40 SD channels, hopefully soon they won't have 40 SD channels.

I'm not paying for $80 for only 40 channels.

Ala carte will NOT work as been discussed many many times before.

Good luck with that ...

Also I wouldn't want to pay $2 for each HD channel either.

$ 40 for 40 SD channels, hopefully soon they won't have 40 SD channels.

I'm not paying for $80 for only 40 channels.

Ala carte will NOT work as been discussed many many times before.
sorry but unless D* sprouts more transponders and signs more HD contracts..SD will be here to stay for a looooooooooooong time

I think getting rid of mpeg2 will happen faster than not having sd channels.

If it was 40 HD channels that I actually watch on a regular basis for $40, I would look into it. But 40 SD channels for $40? No thanks.

but Canadian theme packs can work or at the very least moving ESPN to it's own pack like HBO.

different rules. The CRTC in Canada allows theme packs but you have to buy the WHOLE pack so providers are getting greedy and splitting up channels in 2 packs
Their base packages also start at like $30 a month

While it looks like a good concept, if you notice most providers push a package. Shaw offers theme packages but pushes digital favourites which is just a larger package with a bunch of channels

great example of where themes can be bad

OK I want sports...so with Shaw I can get sports theme with TSN2, NFL Net, TheScore, Golf, Speed and OLN
But if I want NHL Net, ESPN Classic, GolTV, Big10, World FIshing, Fox SPorts World....oh thats another theme
Want them in HD? Oops gotta pay more (and ya gotta buy the SD version before you get the HD one)

There are other examples where similar channel types are split up between two themes

Im thinking the entire concept of a "channel" is about to change.. The future will allow consumers to pay for a show or sports event on their high speed internet link..(via their cell phone ..through their router to their 80 inch LCD TV)

40 SD channels?
Do people really watch that much SD?

I can think of maybe 10 SD channels I would watch TOPS
TruTV, VH1 classic and TVOne are 3 of them
ESPN Classic and The Mtn when I had sports pack

There is no way programmers would allow this.

If you want ESPN you would also have to get ESPN2, ESPN U, ESPN News, ESPN Classic, Disney Channel, Toon Disney, Disney XD, Soap Net & ABC Family as well as ESPN DISNEY wont just sell one channel seperately.

If you could just purchase the exact channels you want most of these other less popular channels would go away.

The more things change the more they stay the same. With data caps on home most people are not going to want to switch to downloaded programs. Especially with the push to 1080p and 3d. You have been able to get this stuff for free even for more than a decade via torrents. There still hasn't been a huge push to it, the vast majority of people still get their programming via traditional broadcast methods. Sure we have all bought a show or two. Sure some people can make that work as their only source of entertainment. The majority do and will not for a long time to come. They just consume too much for it to be worth it.

As for a la carte its not going to happen and if it does it will be tiered so only a very few can actually save money doing it. These companies are no longer growing much in the US at all. They need to raise rates and cut inefficiencies to make more money now. They are not going to give it away for less if they can help it. Neither the makers or the providers have any interest in things changing.

Dan Rose

these models do not work. although they always sound great for the customer on their face; the bottom line is many, many other channels (including some very popular ones) and their original programs would be lost due to vast revenue losses. people must remember that a ton of the cost you pay goes into creating and developing new and original programming as well as new innovations.

There is no way programmers would allow this.

If you want ESPN you would also have to get ESPN2, ESPN U, ESPN News, ESPN Classic, Disney Channel, Toon Disney, Disney XD, Soap Net & ABC Family as well as ESPN DISNEY wont just sell one channel seperately.

If you could just purchase the exact channels you want most of these other less popular channels would go away.

To expand of what your saying, (You hit it on the head though) all the Major Channels you want, are tied to addl channels that you watch very little or have no need for.

Every channel has them,thats where alot of the Shopping channels come from as well.

If you were to buy your 40 channels that you want and thats it, your prices would go thru the roof.

I was also getting was at $1 per sd channel I forgot to metion that in the post. I just get tired of paying for the womens channels when I never watch them.

Dan Rose

danristheman said:
I was also getting was at $1 per sd channel I forgot to metion that in the post. I just get tired of paying for the womens channels when I never watch them.

Dan Rose

See my post above, many of those "Women" channels are owned by other major channels and you won't get the Major channel wthout also carrying the woman channel .... that works with lots of channels that way.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

Interesting discussion. about sports though I wish I could get nbc universe in hd without paying extra I have choice Extra combined with mrv Verizon dsl.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts