46 inch wide screen Sony and Dish 625 - bad picture

malligood

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2005
Last week I purchased a 46" WS Sony to replace my old Phillips 50" that was in the shop for 104 days. Some channels look ok but Football and Nascar on Sunday was so pixelated I could hardly watch it. Anyone have any ideas how to remedy this?

Thanks

A 942 would help. HDTV is a wonderful thing, especially since your new Sony likely supports it.

Since your new TV is widescreen, when it "stretchs" your dish SD picture, it likley gets uglier than normal.

Of course tell us a bit more about how your new TV is connected to the 625? S-Video? Composite? TV2 F? That kind of stuff.

Thanks for the response. My set is connected via S-video since the 625 does not offer component. I just emailed Dish about upgrading to a 942 so hopefully the will come through.
Will the 942 help the appearance of an SD signal as well?

Thanks,

Mack

942 would be a pretty expensive SD receiver. If you can get OTA digital in your area though, and your Sony is HD ready, it might be worth it.

And welcome to satguys.us :wave

Yeah I wouldt get a 942 unless you were planning on getting HD package with it. Otherwise total waste. Can you get any OTA HD? Use antennaweb.org to find out. I have the same problem with my 43" GW RPLCD sony. Its 2 years old and HD looks ( . )( . ) on it :) But alot of the SD is compressed its horrible. My Locals from DISH are attrocious.

If you watch football and Nascar in their standard 4:3 format, instead of stretching them, they will look much better. You don't lose any information either, as all you are doing is leaving the image the way it was transmitted instead of distorting it to fit your widescreen.

Making sure they aren't too bright helps too. I'm assuming you have adjusted your set from its original factory-delivered settings, as those are horrible. Pixelization and other compression artifacts are more obvious when the image is overly bright.

The SD channels will be no better through the 942 than the 625. If your old Phillips was a 4:3 50" set, then SD would be better on it than on most new widescreen sets. As the 4:3 sets were optimized for 4:3 SD 480i inputs, while your new set is optimized for 16:9 1080i images and do a great job with DVDs too.

I know what you mean. I have 55 inch wide screen LCD TV with an 942 box, HD is Excellent but other channels are just below average in detail. Cable tv was slightly better then I made a change to dish cause they claimed all digital channels. DirectTv has the same affect also on the new larger wide screen tvs. Hope the new mpeg4 will improve picture quality. Thats why most electronics stores always have there display tvs hooked to HD channels.

MPEG-4 & 8PSK won't improve the SD channels unless E* invests some of the bandwidth gained by the better compression methods back into those channels to improve PQ. That would be a nice benefit. I hope they do it, but won't be holding my breath.

At present, DirecTV's SD quality is a little worse than E*'s, so they aren't the answer.

Its a shame that my cable analog singals looked better for locals then my dish. Just goes to show going to digital aint always the best. DAMN STUPID COMPRESSION who developed that anyways!

jmcgee_jr said:
Its a shame that my cable analog singals looked better for locals then my dish. Just goes to show going to digital aint always the best. DAMN STUPID COMPRESSION who developed that anyways!

Moderator please delete this duplicate post, Sorry.

thanks
John

jmcgee_jr said:

JMCgee,

Compression in of itself is not the problem. The problem is that both DBS providers are stretching Compression to its breaking point to get as many channels on as possible per transponder.

Both DirecTV and Dish could have astounding Picture quality if they stuck to less than 8 channels per transponder, but both providers average about between 10-12 channels per transponder. Case in point checkout Canada's expressvu service their PQ is Really GREAT. If each sub wasn't adamant about getting his/her own locals this would NOT be a problem. I'd be really happy with national Network feeds.

Lastly without that "damn stupid compression", HD would not exist, as the broadcast spectrum is not wide enough to pump the sheer number of bits needed to resolve either 720P or 1080i.

John

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)