49% OTA problem with 811

sigarms226

Original poster
Aug 6, 2004
Ok, I have never had this dreaded but much discussed problem before now. for the past 1-2 years or so, my 811 has worked adequately for my OTA digital signals, pulling 90% or so. This week, totally out of the blue, with no changes to anything in my setup, they are hanging at 49%. This is on all channels, all of which used to work fine. I am 5-10 miles from the transmitters.

I searched the forum, and followed one suggestion to delete the OTAs, and then unplug the 811. I did this, and now the receiver simply won't pickup any of the channels (now deleted) when I scan for them. I also cannot add them manually.

I dont get it. Is this something related to the P289 software 'upgrade'? I hadnt heard about this issue in a while, so was hoping that it was a dead issue now.

sigarms226 said:
Ok, I have never had this dreaded but much discussed problem before now. for the past 1-2 years or so, my 811 has worked adequately for my OTA digital signals, pulling 90% or so. This week, totally out of the blue, with no changes to anything in my setup, they are hanging at 49%. This is on all channels, all of which used to work fine. I am 5-10 miles from the transmitters.

I searched the forum, and followed one suggestion to delete the OTAs, and then unplug the 811. I did this, and now the receiver simply won't pickup any of the channels (now deleted) when I scan for them. I also cannot add them manually.

I dont get it. Is this something related to the P289 software 'upgrade'? I hadnt heard about this issue in a while, so was hoping that it was a dead issue now.

Are you sure your antenna didn't get moved ? Maybe the preamp or cable got disconnected or loosened somehow.

I agree with waltinvt\...something probably happened to the feed coming from your OTA antenna.

1. Do you have another 811, OTA receiver or built-in 8VSB tuner to test your antenna? (remote possibility your 8VSB tuner is fried)
  • If not, you may wish to purchase a HD receiver (LG/Samsung) from the returned item bin at Best Buy/Circuit City and return it at a later time.
2. Is the antenna still in tact? (direction, dipoles bent, etc.)
3. Is the preamp still powered? (if applicable)
4. Have you checked diplexers? (if applicable)
5. What about the antenna downlead...have you check the RG-6 cables?

I will doublecheck, but I am unaware of any change to anything. Unless something worked its way loose on its own, I am at a loss. The receiver always first showed 49%, and then 'popped' up to the 90% or so as it locked in. The reciever has never worked all that well, constantly downloading the program guide from E*, etc....

I use diplexers, and no amp. All fed by a very ordinary attic antenna. I was thinking that it was something with the software upgrade, or the receiver, remembering that once upon a time this issue was more common.

Makes sense to check the external factors before I conclude anything. Dont have another 811, but maybe this is the excuse I needed to get the 942.

Thanks all, for your giving this a read.

Before you go climbing into the attic, check your local HD OTA forum at avsforum.com and make sure something others are not having issues. LIke the other posters it does sound like something happen external to the box so I personally would start by checking the net before checking the cabling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts