491 Stations Plan to Go Digital Feb. 17, FCC Links and More in First 2 Posts

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
By Ira Teinowitz
The Federal Communications Commission is reporting that 491 TV stations are seeking to go ahead with the digital TV changeover Feb. 12, despite congressional action pushing back the national changeover to June 12.
The switch includes some big-market stations, among them stations in Minneapolis, Memphis, Tenn., Pittsburgh, Reno, Nev., Phoenix, San Diego, Nashville, Tenn., San Francisco, Tulsa, Okla., and Baltimore.
The FCC said those 491 are in addition to the 190 stations that already have terminated their analog signal or will do so before Feb. 17.
Source and More: tvweek

TVWeek also has a DTV Switch Navigator: Here

President Barack Obama today signed legislation postponing the national digital TV transition until June 12.
“During these challenging economic times, the needs of American consumers are a top priority of my administration,” the President said in a statemen
Source and More: tvweek

Directv sent us this list which I felt was appropriate to attach here...
DIRECTV-Customized FCC list in attachment below...

Attachments

• FCC List as of_02_13_09.xls
    121.5 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:
Another four months of DTV transistion commercials for the procrastinators to ignore. I would be PO'd if I were a station that was prepared and now urged to keep 2 signals operating 4 additional months. For the stations still switching on 2/17 good for you.

Just proves that Congress has no idea what they are doing. A patchwork transition makes absolutely no sense :(.

Those stations that are keeping their analog until June will do so at an additional cost of running both transmitters. Most stations are running reduced power on the digtial side for various reasons. Many stations had to, or will have to change antennas rescheduling tower crews to change them. All of this comes at a cost to the stations. All because congress was concerned that some people were not ready. These are the people responsible for running your country (Congress), if that doesn't scare you I don't know what will :rolleyes:.

Kudos to those that are switching Feb 17

It's time to start helping people that help themselves. If they haven't converted after years of hearing about it they are not going to convert in a four month time frame.

Just another useless attempt to help people who are to lazy to help themselves.

All 4 networks in my area are switching on the 17th of this month regardless

Actually the TV Week article says June 12 as well. Perhaps they originally had the wrong date and have now corrected it. But the correct date---for now----is June 12.

Great! My Fox affiliate will drag it's feet till the very end. We have no HD for Fox here in Corpus and from what I here the new Fox station whines about the transtion to anyone who will listen. Stuck with a sub par signal they give Dish (also TW). They were to hot cut since they are new to market so they will save money. HD/Digital has been around since the 80s yet it is 2009 and the U. S. still have not switched.

FCC Rejects 25% of TV Stations' Early DTV-Switch Applications

By Ira Teinowitz

The Federal Communications Commission late Wednesday rejected, at least temporarily, a quarter of the requests from the 491 TV stations that had asked to switch to digital-only signals on Feb. 17.
President Barack Obama earlier Wednesday signed legislation pushing back the national switch to June 12 from the original Feb. 17 date. Stations were given the option of applying to stick with the February date.

Source & More: tvweek.com

Dtv should have been standard a few years ago. Analog ghosting and snow did allow companies to sell a lot of interference filters and gimick devices. Digital makes some of that stuff obsolete.