4K Events Discussion Thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Well, jeeze! You'd think Dish tech would know that. They pulled up my equipment list and said that I should be able to see the game in 4K.

So the 4K joeys aren't worth the plastic that they're made of any more?
You would be correct, for the most part, a Joey 3 is a better bet.

Reactions: charlesrshell
The 4K Joey is pretty worthless for Dish 4K. I found out the hard way after shelling out extra money to have my Joey replaced with a 4K Joey. I also ran in circles with Tech Support who insisted it would work. Finally gave up and then found posts here detailing the fact that I wasted my money.

I have seen reports that the 4K Joey will play 4K HDR recordings just not live 4K HDR. I can record a 4K HDR program and watch it o my old non-HDR Samsung (from 2015) but the colors are washed out and dim. Not worth the trouble.

Well, jeeze! You'd think Dish tech would know that. They pulled up my equipment list and said that I should be able to see the game in 4K.

So the 4K joeys aren't worth the plastic that they're made of any more?
Dish needs to admit that the 4K Joey can not receive any of their 4K HDR channels. But they won’t admit it so their customer support keeps giving out misleading information. They need to scrap the 4K Joeys and allow Joey 4 clients for customers wanting to watch 4K HDR broadcasts on a TV that is not connected to a Hopper 3.
When the Paris Olympics start Dish is going to have a lot of angry customers when they find out that they can’t watch the 4K HDR Olympics on their Joey 4K.

4K Joeys do not support HDR.
The Joey4s do, but I believe that you need a Hopper3 to support a Joey4.
I updated all of my Joeys to Joey4s, and they do an excellent job with 4K HDR broadcasts. The only small complaint, is their output flags everything as HDR regardless of actual content. The makes colors inaccurate on SDR content, and locks your TV to HDR settings.
The work around is to only enable enhanced HDMI support when watching HDR content. Not sure if they can solve this with a firmware update, or if this behavior is hard coded into the hardware.

Beginning 3-13 there will be Big 10 and Pac 12 Tournament college basketball games on channels 540-01 and 02. I will post those individual games as the teams are announced in the no discussion thread. There will be a lot of them.

I have loaded in the teams, if known, for the Big East, Big 10, and Pac12 Tournaments in the no discussion thread. There are several TBAs vs known teams. I'll fill them in as they become available. I have not loaded the semi-finals or finals yet. I'll do that when the team names become available.

I just executed an interesting experiment.
My H3 is connected to an old Panasonic 42 inch plasma 720p TV.
Sunday I recorded channel 540-02 on my H3.
About 5 minutes ago I tried to play that recording but the H3 said it could not play it , I pressed OK and ot popped back to live TV.
SO... I tried again and when the incompatability notice came up I pressed the back button, the warning disappeared and I am now watching channel 540--2 in my old 720p plasma TV.
I have double checked the channel.
Info tells me I am watching the recording of channel 540-02.
Unlike playing 4K recordings on my non-4K HDR Samsung 65 inch TV, the picture is not washed out but very crisp and clear even at 720p.
I hadn't noticed it before but on 4K the progress line is orange, not yellow as it is with 1080i recordings.