4K Events Discussion Thread

NBC's decision to broadcast in 4K HDR has left all early adopters of 4K without the ability to watch the 4K broadcasts. There are more non 4K HDR TV sets than HDR 4K sets. NBC has made more viewers upset than happy. That is not a good marketing result. Another NBC oops moment. Too bad Dish couldn't figure a way to have 147-05 be 4K HDR and 540 be 4K non HDR.

NBC's decision to broadcast in 4K HDR has left all early adopters of 4K without the ability to watch the 4K broadcasts. There are more non 4K HDR TV sets than HDR 4K sets. NBC has made more viewers upset than happy. That is not a good marketing result. Another NBC oops moment. Too bad Dish couldn't figure a way to have 147-05 be 4K HDR and 540 be 4K non HDR.

According to AVS forum you should be able to watch 4K HDR content on a non HDR TV. The HDR signal is just ignored but you still can receive the high resolution. It would be similar to watching a program with Dolby surround sound on a TV that only supports stereo.

I would check with Dish an your TV manufacturer to find out why your TV is showing up as not compatible. Are you using the correct HDMI input? Some TV’s only have one HDMI input that produces 4K. Hopefully, you will find a solution that works for you.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/465-h...g/2542505-hdr-non-hdr-tv.html#/topics/2542505

Reactions: charlesrshell
On my Hopper 3 I am getting both 4k 147-05 & 540 (just the Dish Coverage logo for now) and the channels are triggering my TV's HDR. My Joey4k doesn't have them at all but that doesn't surprise me one bit. I am constantly having issues with that piece of junk. I need to call Dish one of these days for a replacement anyway.

another thing to think about if you are getting the not compatible screen when trying to go to 147-05 or 540: If you have an HDR compatible TV but are getting the message, make sure that you HDMI cable from the Hopper to the TV can pass 18Gbps. That is a requirement for HDR. If you are going through an AVR, make sure the AVR is HDR compatible and that you are using 18Gbps all the way through to the TV.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Since I DVR most everything we are interested in, and it's likely at least a day or two before we get around to watching it, this makes absolutely no difference to me.

Sure, I DVR most things as well, but not live sporting events. It's no fun for me to watch something where I already know the result. I can't feasibly stay off the internet, not watch TV and avoid talking to people for the rest of February.

All US providers are delayed 24 hours for 4K content. I plan to watch it live in HD and then in 4K 24 hours later. It will be interesting to compare the two DVR programs.

The vast majority of people want to watch the Olympics live. Not a day later when it's already been covered in the news, twitter, local paper etc. They've really dropped the ball. I'll at most tune in for 5 minutes for the novelty of 4K, but plan to watch the Olympics as it happens.

The vast majority of people want to watch the Olympics live. Not a day later when it's already been covered in the news, twitter, local paper etc. They've really dropped the ball. I'll at most tune in for 5 minutes for the novelty of 4K, but plan to watch the Olympics as it happens.
Not sure how much we are going to see live... isnt there like a 16 hour difference in time?

Reactions: Bogy
Everyone is getting the 4K tape delay. Think it's because of advertising contracts has nothing with Dish choosing the delay. If its commercial free it will be a bonus for me and worth watching.

They are actually shooting it in 8K, then downconverting it to 4K on site which takes time. They can't do it in real time. Not yet...

The guide in 4k is nice but the HDR makes the whites of the guide way too bright and it's incredibly harsh to look at. If Dish makes HDR content more common, they should spend the time to make the guide look good in HDR. Limit the nit levels of the letters (no need for 1000 nit light coming from the guide).