4K Events Discussion Thread

With the right TV in place, you’ll need to choose how you’re going to get the 4K HDR program from Fox. The network has told Digital Trends that it will feed the signal to DirecTV, Dish Network, Comcast Xfinity X1, Altice Optimum, and Verizon FIOS. If you subscribe to one of these providers, you’ll need to make sure you have a subscription tier that gets you access to the 4K-capable channels that will carry the game.

Fox Sports To Broadcast Super Bowl LIV in 4K HDR | All the Details | Digital Trends

Reactions: charlesrshell
Dish now has a Super Bowl blurb on the channel 540-01 guide. That channel is not HDR at all. Unless things change I will watch it in HDR via the Fox Sports app on my Roku Ultra or FireStick 4K.

With the right TV in place, you’ll need to choose how you’re going to get the 4K HDR program from Fox. The network has told Digital Trends that it will feed the signal to DirecTV, Dish Network, Comcast Xfinity X1, Altice Optimum, and Verizon FIOS. If you subscribe to one of these providers, you’ll need to make sure you have a subscription tier that gets you access to the 4K-capable channels that will carry the game.

Fox Sports To Broadcast Super Bowl LIV in 4K HDR | All the Details | Digital Trends
So, here is my question: why wouldn't this automatically be included with a subscription to the local channels, since it is a Fox event? Even if Dish added a small 4K fee to enable access to the 4K channels, that would be better than requiring a subscription to a much higher basic package in order to get the 4K feeds. From the link to the Dish webpage provided in the post in the non-discussion thread, it looks like the 4K feed requires AT120 or higher:

"4K content requires subscription to America's Top 120 or higher, Latino Max, National Action Pack, or Int'l: World."

Dish now has a Super Bowl blurb on the channel 540-01 guide. That channel is not HDR at all. Unless things change I will watch it in HDR via the Fox Sports app on my Roku Ultra or FireStick 4K.
So, if the article I posted is correct, Dish is receiving the HDR signal from Fox but is either incapable or unwilling to broadcast it that way....

So, if the article I posted is correct, Dish is receiving the HDR signal from Fox but is either incapable or unwilling to broadcast it that way....

DISH was capable to broadcast HDR for the 2018 Winter Olympics games. I still have the closing ceremony and it plays great in my Hopper 3. Wonder if the 4K Joey can play HDR now!

Wonder if the 4K Joey can play HDR now!
As I recall, it is a hardware limitation on the 4K Joey as to why it doesn’t offer 4K HDR. I‘d love to be proven wrong…

Edit: my 4K Joey shows my Sports folder with the MSU-IU game from Thursday night, but none of the 4K HDR 2018 Winter Olympics events I recorded are listed. They do show up and play beautifully on my LG OLED connected to our Hopper 3.

If you have a 4K Joey, you will see in the guide that channel 540 goes from 540-01 to 540-03. It misses channel 540-02 which is the HDR channel. That is the tell that the 4K joey is incapable of HDR. There was so much rage over the Olympics in HDR and not being able to be seen on 4K Joeys, especially standalone 4K Joeys without Hopper 3s, that I believe DISH is holding back on HDR entirely so as to appease those that have 4K but not Hopper 3s. I'd really love to see the population numbers of those that have 4K Joeys only as compared to those that have Hopper 3s. For an event like the Super Bowl I wish that DISH would go with two feeds, one on 540-01 and the other on 540-02. That would satisfy the masses until they figure out a way to add 4K HDR to the 4K Joeys.

I believe that Bobby is correct. I second his request that Dish should broadcast the Super Bowl on both channel 540-01 w/o HDR and channel 540-02 with HDR. That would make a lot of customers happy and eliminate a lot of the complaints. Customers with 4K Joeys but no Hopper3 could watch and customers with Hopper3 and HDR TV’s would get the full color gamete. Please Dish consider this!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

To further this, I am looking at the Michigan-Illinois basketball game on channel 540-01 right now. It looks terrible, washed out. Then I went over to my AppleTV 4K on the Fox Sports app and while it is not HDR it looks 100% better. Next I tried it on my Roku Ultra and Firestick 4K. The are 4K HDR10 and they look spectacular.

As I recall, it is a hardware limitation on the 4K Joey as to why it doesn’t offer 4K HDR. I‘d love to be proven wrong…
As I have said before, this really makes me wonder why Dish is not working on rolling out new hardware to be able to address this very issue. A new 4K HDR Joey and 4K HDR Wally should be added as options at a bare minimum, if not a new version of the Hopper, since the Hopper 3 already does 4K HDR. (Although a 4K HDR Hopper Duo would be really kick-ass, as it would be able to deliver 4K HDR and the benefits of a Hopper, for a lower monthly fee than the Hopper 3.)

On a side note, we do know that the hardware in the 4K Joey is capable of PIP, since that was one of the features that it was originally announced that Dish was working on for that model. Those plans have also apparently been scrapped, though.

If you have a 4K Joey, you will see in the guide that channel 540 goes from 540-01 to 540-03. It misses channel 540-02 which is the HDR channel. That is the tell that the 4K joey is incapable of HDR. There was so much rage over the Olympics in HDR and not being able to be seen on 4K Joeys, especially standalone 4K Joeys without Hopper 3s, that I believe DISH is holding back on HDR entirely so as to appease those that have 4K but not Hopper 3s. ...
Interestingly, for live content in 4K, Dish does not even mention the option of using a 4K Joey with any other model of Hopper on this page on their website: Request Rejected
(Scroll down to "Step-by-Step Instructions to Access 4K Content")
For on-demand 4K content, that section does list pairing the 4K Joey to a Hopper with Sling (aka Hopper 2) as an option, although I thought for sure that the 4K Joey would also work just fine with a Hopper Duo.

... I'd really love to see the population numbers of those that have 4K Joeys only as compared to those that have Hopper 3s. For an event like the Super Bowl I wish that DISH would go with two feeds, one on 540-01 and the other on 540-02. That would satisfy the masses until they figure out a way to add 4K HDR to the 4K Joeys.
The other variable that you forgot to mention of course, is those who do have Hopper 3's, but only have older 4K non-HDR TV's. That is data that Dish is not likely to have, unless all of those Hopper 3's are connected to the internet, and they happen to report to Dish what model of TV they are connected to. (That would also assume that the Hopper is connected to the TV via HDMI, of course. We cannot necessarily count on the average consumer to use the proper cable to connect the receiver to the TV, though.)

If you have a 4K Joey, you will see in the guide that channel 540 goes from 540-01 to 540-03. It misses channel 540-02 which is the HDR channel. That is the tell that the 4K joey is incapable of HDR. There was so much rage over the Olympics in HDR and not being able to be seen on 4K Joeys, especially standalone 4K Joeys without Hopper 3s, that I believe DISH is holding back on HDR entirely so as to appease those that have 4K but not Hopper 3s. I'd really love to see the population numbers of those that have 4K Joeys only as compared to those that have Hopper 3s. For an event like the Super Bowl I wish that DISH would go with two feeds, one on 540-01 and the other on 540-02. That would satisfy the masses until they figure out a way to add 4K HDR to the 4K Joeys.

Is there a technical reason Dish couldn’t use both -01 and -02 for all 4K broadcasts? If not, it doesn’t make sense why Dish wouldn’t use this approach....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: pattykay
Agreed, but that’s not a technical reason.

If $$ is the reason, then only do it for the marquee events, like the SB, Olympics, etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They may have only one pipe to the originator and they can have only one or the other. No one here knows...