4K Events Discussion Thread

I just went down stairs and checked out the DIRECTV 4K feed. It looks washed out like the Roku 4K and Fire TV 4K does. Almost like the brightness is too high. Its just too bad I dont have all these things hooked up to the same TV.

I put the TV on HDR Dark ( using the Fox Sports App on a TCL 8 Series Roku TV ) and it is still very washed out, did the same on my 6 series and HDR looks the same.

It does have better resolution then the Fox OTA Channel, but the OTA signal has better color.

I don’t think the 4K TVs know how to handle HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma, an HDR standard).Just HDR 10 and Dolby Vision ...

Fox is to Blame for this mess...

On my Sony XBR65X900E watching on my Roku 4 I have HDR mode set to Auto. If I change it to HDR 10 the colors become over saturated. The HLG setting looks the same as Auto. My set does not support Dolby Vision.
Using my Hopper3 as an input changing the HDR mode from Auto to HDR10 causes the colors to get brighter and more vivid, On HLG the colors get grey and washed out, HDR off looks the same as Auto.

In conclusion I believe that a lot of TV’s have difficulty deciding which HDR mode to use. Since the Roku is probably using HLG for the streaming my TV correctly showed the colors with the HDR mode in Auto. Dish does not use HDR but selecting HDR10 boosts the colors. When you factor in the new Dolby Vision standard things get even more complicated for broadcasters.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

LG OLED is coming in 4K on Dish 540 and looking pretty damn good. Not the least bit washed out. Then again the LG does a pretty good job of up converting to 4K, some times it's hard to tell the difference. Studio stuff is very sharp. Commercials, my TV might have done a better job of up converting than Fox is doing but still watchable.

Reactions: Foxbat
so when is dish gonna start supporting HDR for 4k. there's rumours flying around all over the place saying they don't support HDR!!!

The Dish 4K Joey does not support HDR. The Hopper3 does support HDR. Dish showed the Olympics with HDR. Dish does have channel 540-02 which does HDR but I believe that the Olympics is the only event that they have done in HDR.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I’m enjoying the picture quality on my 2018 LG 55” C8 OLED set. Now that the sun has set here, I can live with the darker image.

My chili has finished simmering (my neighbor grew tomatillos last year and I took 9 or 10 out of the freezer along with his Mucho Jalapeños, plus a couple of the fresh Habaneros from our plant at work) and the cornbread from scratch. My wife says I got the chili just right, on the border of “hot enough” and “too hot”.

So, question to other LG set owners, how do I bring up the Info banner? I have their “freespace” remote and the Info button isn’t jumping out at me.

540-1 is still showing 1080i for me. I have been watching the pre-game and thought maybe it was just the game that was going to switch to 4K, but apparently that is not the case. I have cord rebooted my Hopper 3 and still 1080i. I can go to the Amazon Prime or Netflix channels and watch 4K programming just fine (my Vizio M series shows 2160 in the display box), so it is not a handshake issue with my box, receiver, TV.
Any suggestions?

Maybe try a different HDMI cable. You may have a cable that won’t support the higher signaling needed for 4K.

Edit: thanks what I get for watching the commercials! Harold I beat me to it.
(in my defense, the Jason Momoa commercial was excellent!j

Reactions: pattykay
I set the picture mode on my Sony x900e to Vivid and that seems to have solved the "dull" issue on the 4K channel. Normally Vivid is horrible on all other channels and I usually use Standard, but in this case it's a very good improvement over Dish's washed out 4K.

Reactions: TheKrell
So, question to other LG set owners, how do I bring up the Info banner? I have their “freespace” remote and the Info button isn’t jumping out at me.

I don't have an LG but google brought up this.

I just figured out how to get the banner up using the magic remote and pointer. With the pointer present, press the wheel button then click on the Input Name that appears in the upper right corner to reveal the input signal information.

I don't have an LG but google brought up this.

I just figured out how to get the banner up using the magic remote and pointer. With the pointer present, press the wheel button then click on the Input Name that appears in the upper right corner to reveal the input signal information.
Upper left corner on both my LG TVs

Reactions: Tampa8
Try a different hdmi cable from hopper and then a different tv input.
Maybe try a different HDMI cable. You may have a cable that won’t support the higher signaling needed for 4K.

Edit: thanks what I get for watching the commercials! Harold I beat me to it.
(in my defense, the Jason Momoa commercial was excellent!j

I though about the HDMI cable, but with it playing 4K just fine through the Amazon and Netflix channels (301 & 302), why would it not do so on 504-1? It all is coming through the Hopper using the same HDMI cable.

Thank you for that, I was going to look it up eventually but I was being lazy. :)

My LG is reporting 2160p and BT2020. I‘m not sure what that signifies, but I’ll look it up. Okay, it’s indicating the ITU-R color space (not HDR). It’s also showing Dolby Digital. My only observation there is an audio glitch during the commercials, especially in the higher frequencies.

Reactions: pattykay
I set the picture mode on my Sony x900e to Vivid and that seems to have solved the "dull" issue on the 4K channel. Normally Vivid is horrible on all other channels and I usually use Standard, but in this case it's a very good improvement over Dish's washed out 4K.

I shouldn’t have to change the picture mode on my tv to accommodate the Dish 4K signal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: pattykay and Bobby
I have the first flat (not curved) OLED TV from LG and HDR10 had just been approved as mandatory and the HDR on it has ALWAY been too saturated and pushes red to orangish. Never really good. I did the Fox app on my 4K stick and the HDR was the same as always on my TV. The 504 channel was only slightly less saturated but sharp as a pin. So I stayed with it.

One thing that surprised me was the audio on the 4K Stick was Dolby Surround only. Not even Dolby Digital. And the CC didn't work on the app either.

Reactions: charlesrshell