4K from FOX on DIRECTV, where is it on DISH?

I can't find any data on it, does anyone know the streaming bandwidth difference between 4k and 4k with HDR?
It isn't a resolution difference. HDR when added to 4K gives a much more range and accuracy to colors and contrast the two most important aspects of how a picture looks on a TV. There are scant few actual sources that as yet use HDR, worse there are two or three different brands (kinds) and all are not compatible with every TV. Netflix has had some HDR encoded shows but till very recently none were compatible with Samsung TV's. Amazon has a few of it's shows with HDR.

It isn't a resolution difference. HDR when added to 4K gives a much more range and accuracy to colors and contrast the two most important aspects of how a picture looks on a TV. There are scant few actual sources that as yet use HDR, worse there are two or three different brands (kinds) and all are not compatible with every TV. Netflix has had some HDR encoded shows but till very recently none were compatible with Samsung TV's. Amazon has a few of it's shows with HDR.
Thanks, and I understand the resolution. I was asking about bandwidth for streaming or distribution. Both have the same number of pixels but I didn't know how much more data the HDR requires as that is in some sense up to three times the info.

Thanks, and I understand the resolution. I was asking about bandwidth for streaming or distribution. Both have the same number of pixels but I didn't know how much more data the HDR requires as that is in some sense up to three times the info.

Ah now I understand and good question. I don't know.

I recently purchased a Sony XBR-65x850D with HDR. I've found excellent source material for 4K programming on both Netflix and YouTube, and all I can say is that it looks stunning!

Larry

The best HDR is Dolby Vision, I think it runs at about 18mbs, but for DV you need an LG or a Vizio.
Dan

Don't current OTA streams run at a maximum of 19.8 mbps? How are they going to cram 4k down the same pipe? Or will 4K over OTA only happen after ATSC 3.0? (if it ever happens)

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

The best HDR is Dolby Vision, I think it runs at about 18mbs, but for DV you need an LG or a Vizio.
Dan

From my experience the best HDR is none at all.
Who wants a dim picture with gamma settings all out of wack

Reactions: KAB
From my experience the best HDR is none at all.
Who wants a dim picture with gamma settings all out of wack

That's not totally off base. But I will say this, I have one input set up for HDR material from Amazon etc and using better settings for it does provide an excellent picture, there are a couple of posts from calibrators as Avsforum who worked on it and found how to get better use of the HDR. Problem is as it always is standards are not set in stone or are just becoming so for this new technology. Those of us who are buying 4K TV's and particularly with HDR are early adopters for not quite ready for prime time buyers as some tinkering and workarounds can be needed.

So I have a 4k tv with HDR ,but you can turn it off in the settings. Would y'all recommend turning it off? I finally found a picture control setting that is VIVID mode and turned the color down to about 48 from 75. This makes the picture look about right. The color in the faces of people has thrown me off the most since getting the tv. This being a Phillips 4k tv , I tried to set it similar to my HD Phillips tv. But this didn't work as the picture would look washed out and dim. I tried to keep the light sensor off, but then the picture doesn't seem to look right either with the picture looking too bright. But with the sensor on and the gama setting on normal the picture looks about right. The dynamic contrast is on minimum ,but sometimes the picture looks better with none at all. The whole reason why I bought the HDR tv was because it is supposed to make the picture look better with more colors etc. I hate to turn it off , just seems to defeat why I bought it. I have to admit, that with it on I see a whole lot different colors in their faces that I never have seen before. They are no longer a uniform color that I see on hd tvs. There seems to be more definition and differences in darker scenes compared to light on the faces.

So I have a 4k tv with HDR ,but you can turn it off in the settings. Would y'all recommend turning it off? I finally found a picture control setting that is VIVID mode and turned the color down to about 48 from 75. This makes the picture look about right. The color in the faces of people has thrown me off the most since getting the tv. This being a Phillips 4k tv , I tried to set it similar to my HD Phillips tv. But this didn't work as the picture would look washed out and dim. I tried to keep the light sensor off, but then the picture doesn't seem to look right either with the picture looking too bright. But with the sensor on and the gama setting on normal the picture looks about right. The dynamic contrast is on minimum ,but sometimes the picture looks better with none at all. The whole reason why I bought the HDR tv was because it is supposed to make the picture look better with more colors etc. I hate to turn it off , just seems to defeat why I bought it. I have to admit, that with it on I see a whole lot different colors in their faces that I never have seen before. They are no longer a uniform color that I see on hd tvs. There seems to be more definition and differences in darker scenes compared to light on the faces.
I've turned it off on my Samsung for ALL the reasons you mention. Got sick of messing with it. As of now, to me, it is just a more expensive gimmick. I remember watching the in store demo, they showed a split screen of a cluster of tomatoes, left without, right with. The left looked real (I've grown tomatoes for years), the right, well I've NEVER seen a tomato that red...and certainly never will. But, I bought into the hype anyway. Bad on me!

I've turned it off on my Samsung for ALL the reasons you mention. Got sick of messing with it. As of now, to me, it is just a more expensive gimmick. I remember watching the in store demo, they showed a split screen of a cluster of tomatoes, left without, right with. The left looked real (I've grown tomatoes for years), the right, well I've NEVER seen a tomato that red...and certainly never will. But, I bought into the hype anyway. Bad on me!
I might do the same. I did notice that I didn't have all high speed cables hooked up to all my a/v receiver and tv. The hdmi splitter was making the picture look worse because it wasn't set up for 4k . So I redid all by hdmi cables with the high speed ones and removed the hdmi splitter entirely. Now will have to use a joey in the computer room instead. My wife will like that since she likes to watch different stuff in the living room anyway. But might need to buy another joey 2 from my online retailer, unless my boy will let me switch out his for my room . He rarely watches on the tv anymore ,just the smart phone.

If you have a Samsung TV (I don't know how others handle this) be sure whatever input you are using via HDMI is set to UHD COLOR on the Samsung TV for watching 4K material.

If by Full HD you mean 1080P then I think you'll find a better chance of 4K being adapted.

No, not what I mean. Full 1920X1080I without crippling compression or pixelization. Even OTA isn't always when it is supposed to be. 1080P Blue ray quality would be great, I agree don't see it happening, and for my money as good as 4K from the standpoint of what the human eye can see at a given distance. In fact some reviewers in the business will tell you it is hard to distinguish sometimes 4K and a well done 1080P blue ray - HDR excepted. My own review... I totally agree. It is very hard and only maybe if you get very close to see the difference. HDR encoded 4K however is easily seen as better but not from a resolution standpoint.
"Even with reference-quality native 4K material, however, a 4K-resolution TV or projector won't provide nearly the visible improvement over a standard 1080p model that going from standard-def to high-def did. To appreciate it you'll have to have sit quite close to a large screen -- sort of like being in the front few rows of a movie theater." https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-4k-uhd-next-generation-resolution-explained/

Reactions: Tony S
So much of this stuff is marketing driven. Everybody has an HDTV so how are we going to get the public to buy another. Samsung had a great answer, sell them a LEDTV. LED is a known quantity and a logical next step up from regular old LCD. of course Samsung got sued for false advertising but the seed was sown. Now the term LED is so accepted that even professional reviewers have gotten tired of explaining that LED is not a technology like LCD, or plasma, or OLED, it' just a different way to light a good old LCD panel. Now it's 4K. Is the next latest and greatest. 4K vs 2K. Pretty easy sell really. I predict that by 2019 2K sets above 50 inches will be as rare as hens teeth. No major panel manufacturer will bother making them. Not enough profit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts