4K H3 rebuffers Netflick on 50 mbs wired internet line

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jackdemcak

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 6, 2009
Rancho Palos Verdes
The odd thing about this problem is that it occurs only when I watch episodes of "The Stranger". I also see this problem with a Roku Ultra direct connected to the TV. I am hoping this is a Netflix problem. This will be confirmed if others have experienced it. Otherwise the prime suspect is my LG OLEG TV.

Thanks - - -

I watched The Stranger (love me some Harlan Coben) and it was perfect. HOWEVER, I watched through my Amazon 4K Firestick, not the app on the Hopper.

Here's what I think may have happened. For quite a while, my Alexas (Alexii?) had become dumb. Most every act I asked her to perform would be a red ring telling me she didn't know what I was talking about, but immediately getting a response when I asked again seconds later. I was at my wits end trying to figure out why this was happening as I saw no other people complaining about how dumb Alexa had become. It had to be something at my house. I tried all types of rebooting and clearing the Echos to factory reset and blah, blah, blah.

So I finally decided to get a new modem/router (Netgear Obit CBR40) that had 38 channels instead of 16 and, all of a sudden, Alexa became a smart old girl again.

So...anyway, that long exposition is to say that as I go through the router assignments of devices, my Firestick gets a 5Ghz channel while my Hopper gets 2.4 Ghz. A faster lane, if you will.

Today, many routers are capable of 2.4 (older) and 5 (newer) and some allow you to force a device to got to either channel. The most frequent way is to set up a second ssid name and move the Hopper to see only the 5Ghz ssid.

Anyway...that's my guess. Hope it helps.

Eddie -- Thanks for your quick reply. I wondered about the router, but no 4K program from any source has ever showed a buffering problem when direct connected to my router's 50 mbs internet. I am hoping that the 4K Netflicks stream for "The Stranger" contains an error that triggers the rebuffering. If that's the case I'll ignore this as a one-time problem and get on with my life. Otherwise, if I am the only one that sees the problem, I'll replace the router - - - thanks for the tip.

I have a brand new Netgear Orbi RBR50 system setup. My Hopper3 is setup ~6 ft from the unit and is connected via wireless. The Hopper is located on the below the TV and near the floor and the Orbi is located on a shelf next to the TV and close to the ceiling. Its funny but the Hopper sometimes connects via the 5GHz network and other times via the 2.4GHz network. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. I've had a couple of instances of buffering while watching Netflix content but I attributed that to a wonky Netflix app on the Hopper. I've not experienced a similar problem with the Nexflix app on an AppleTV that I have connected to the same TV and sits right next to the Hopper. Similarly, I havent seen the problem while using the Nexflix app on a Firestick connected to one of our bedroom TV's.

I have a brand new Netgear Orbi RBR50 system setup. My Hopper3 is setup ~6 ft from the unit and is connected via wireless. The Hopper is located on the below the TV and near the floor and the Orbi is located on a shelf next to the TV and close to the ceiling. Its funny but the Hopper sometimes connects via the 5GHz network and other times via the 2.4GHz network. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. I've had a couple of instances of buffering while watching Netflix content but I attributed that to a wonky Netflix app on the Hopper. I've not experienced a similar problem with the Nexflix app on an AppleTV that I have connected to the same TV and sits right next to the Hopper. Similarly, I havent seen the problem while using the Nexflix app on a Firestick connected to one of our bedroom TV's.
Why not try out Ethernet?

I've been told wireless can be faster. Don't know if it's true, but today's wireless is much better than the Powerline adapters I had.
I have seen that as it relates to Roku. I tried it both ways. Wired is simply better. The OP has his router 6 feet away from his Hopper 3. He should get an ethernet cable and set it up. He will be much happier.

I have a Gigabit network throughout my house so my TV’s, 2 Hopper3 receivers, Recast TV, Sony PS3, Caseta Hub, PhonePower VOIP, Printer, Network Drives, Liftmaster Hub, Accurite Hub, and Dell Media Server are all hard wired. I use the wireless for my Echo Dots, Google hub, laptops, IPhone, IPad, Fire Sticks, Chromecast, and Apple TV.
I have a Netgear R8000 Nighthawk and have never experienced problems with 35 devices connected. Of course I am not using all 35 devices at the same time.
Correction - Only 1 Hopper3 receiver is hard wired to my router. The second Hopper3 and my Joey3 use moca for their connection. But I have reserved fixed IP addresses for all of my devices. Things work better when the connection is always the same.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Best thing I have found for wireless and wired connections. Google Mesh Routers/extenders/range. I have 2 set up in my house, and a line running to a switch in my bedroom. All connections are incredible, and I receive about 200 mbps, which is great considering I pay for 75. In a metropolitan area even.
I also love that I can view my traffic and remotely prioritize things, share ownership with people via text which means no SSID/key required when on the fly, and I am now running three systems in different sections of my city(my home, my brothers home, and my mothers doctors office). The owner of my company got me on them, and if he shares the office with me, I can run a 4th(I’m unofficially/officially the IT guy for our very small business). This is after going through close to $1000 in different modems and routers trying to correct some issues with Wifi vs lead painted walls, and connectivity with my switch. Would recommend checking it out sometime, downside being the cost($99/unit, most homes should have atleast 2, comfortably 3).

Reactions: charlesrshell
Best thing I have found for wireless and wired connections. Google Mesh Routers/extenders/range.

The aforementioned Netgear Orbi RBR50 is a mesh router. I went with this because of the 4 GigE jacks on each component which can also be used with a copper backhaul. As I said above, I use wired for everything possible! Do the Google Mesh routers have any such capability?

The aforementioned Netgear Orbi RBR50 is a mesh router. I went with this because of the 4 GigE jacks on each component which can also be used with a copper backhaul.
That's what I was thinking of when I said wireless could be faster than ethernet. If they just slapped on the older speed rj45s, it would have slower throughput than the 811.ac. As least, that's what I read. :rolleyes

Reactions: TheKrell
The aforementioned Netgear Orbi RBR50 is a mesh router. I went with this because of the 4 GigE jacks on each component which can also be used with a copper backhaul. As I said above, I use wired for everything possible! Do the Google Mesh routers have any such capability?
You can hardwire the Googles, if that is what is being asked.

I saw the Orbi mesh routers, and was not a fan, although they were my number 2 choice. A literal hair of a difference.

Reactions: TheKrell
I have "issues" with streaming from both H3's no matter how connected. So I rarely use them. The TVs themselves or AppleTV 4Ks, through WiFi, are far better.

I have the Orbi RBK853 fed with Gigabit Fiber at ~935/935Mbps with one H3 hardwired to the Base (RBR). The second H3 I have in the Media Room is 18" from a 5 port switch, but I use MoCA from the other H3 so they can talk. I get, as per the "Send Status" > "Test Connection" =, 245.515Mbps.

Here's an article on speed requirements for Netflix: What Internet Speed Do I Need for Netflix? | Reviews.org
and
Do a Speed Test from Netflix > Settings > "Check your network". I'm showing a speed of 64.75Mbps, even though the H3 has a MoCA Speed of 246Mbps. Go Figure.

Sent from my SM-T380 using the SatelliteGuys app!

Just because.
If you search for Buffer Bloat fix for (insert your router name here) you may be surprised.
I have an Asus router running Merlin firmware. My ISP provides 100mbps service of which I can do a speedtest and show 105-110.
But streaming using RJ45 or wifi would buffer and glitch.
Watching the web interface bandwidth monitor showed nasty up and down traffic swings.
Did the fix and now 4k content is quite steady. Very steady matter of fact.

[QUOTE="arlo, [/QUOTE]

Who are you replying to?

But as I stated, the difference between what the H3 is getting as a speed on a terciary connection and the App is getting, tells me that it's a DISH App implementation problem.

I have an H3 connected WiFi on a 25Mbps line (tests 27M) and can stream 4K HDR on Netflix with no buffering. My guess it's a hardware issue someplace. Either the H3, your network or your ISP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)