4K in Dish's Hopper sic

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

inazsully

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Sun City West, AZ
Since "D" just announced a 4K device for their Genie I was wondering if "E" has anything in their pipe line to counter with? Early bird catches the worm and there are now 10's of thousands of 4K TV's loose in the world.

Dish announced a 4K Joey at CES in January, though release date yet unknown. But I don't see why they would rush out the cart before the horse (Dish 4K programming)

And many, if not most of those UHDTV's were purchased as high-end HDTV's, meaning that many (I think most) people may not even know their display is capable of UHD, much like the majority who did not know they flat screen they bought years ago was also capable of HD, at least that was the industry data. Or the consumers thought that if they hook up their new UHDTV to their current HD services, it would look just like the UHD picture in the store. In fact, the UHDTV's do upscale HD to the native resolution, so those consumers may believe they are getting the best and most out of their UHDTV viewing up-scaled material.

Also, no standard for the HDR or precisely which system of HDR is to be adopted and a few more loose threads regarding UHDTV being able to display all the advantages if we can't get decide on everyone using the same system. Also, the current batch of consumer UHDTV's aren't capable of displaying the full UHDTV HDR that is possible and will be for content. Those who wait will have such displays. They just don't exist for the consumer, yet.

Early bird for UHDTV is not the most wise road to take, today, considering a lack of systematization. I'll be waiting for the finalizations and displays capable of displaying the full HDR of the UHD and the lower prices to come. I think we have 60Hz UHDTV's now, right? That was another reason last year to wait. However, I would not fault someone who needed to replace an old HDTV who decided to go ahead and get a UHDTV. Who knows? The HDR flag or other system may be using the tech of that particular UHDTV as the standard, or not. At least one can enjoy an HD up-scaled to UDH experience.

And to those of you who do have UHDTV, what is the HD up-scaled to UHD experience like? Is it a significantly better PQ? Let us know.

I know most of the Samsung SUHD support HDR as well as a few Sony models and I think LG has some on the way as well. But yes the PQ is a lot better on 4K UHD TV's just go to your local Best Buy and check them out. I know my local one has some running things in 4K on some Samsung Model's and Sony as well but you can see the difference in 4K and 1080p for sure.

And many, if not most of those UHDTV's were purchased as high-end HDTV's, meaning that many (I think most) people may not even know their display is capable of UHD, much like the majority who did not know they flat screen they bought years ago was also capable of HD, at least that was the industry data. Or the consumers thought that if they hook up their new UHDTV to their current HD services, it would look just like the UHD picture in the store. In fact, the UHDTV's do upscale HD to the native resolution, so those consumers may believe they are getting the best and most out of their UHDTV viewing up-scaled material.

Also, no standard for the HDR or precisely which system of HDR is to be adopted and a few more loose threads regarding UHDTV being able to display all the advantages if we can't get decide on everyone using the same system. Also, the current batch of consumer UHDTV's aren't capable of displaying the full UHDTV HDR that is possible and will be for content. Those who wait will have such displays. They just don't exist for the consumer, yet.

Early bird for UHDTV is not the most wise road to take, today, considering a lack of systematization. I'll be waiting for the finalizations and displays capable of displaying the full HDR of the UHD and the lower prices to come. I think we have 60Hz UHDTV's now, right? That was another reason last year to wait. However, I would not fault someone who needed to replace an old HDTV who decided to go ahead and get a UHDTV. Who knows? The HDR flag or other system may be using the tech of that particular UHDTV as the standard, or not. At least one can enjoy an HD up-scaled to UDH experience.

And to those of you who do have UHDTV, what is the HD up-scaled to UHD experience like? Is it a significantly better PQ? Let us know.

My experience is good,I have the Vizio M55-C2 4K UHDTV,this is considered to be a good budget UHDTV,but it is not the best,there are reviews at www.rtings.com for most of the 4K UHDTVs and 1080p HDTVs.
On my TV it will upconvert all the OTA&Satellite signals it receives to near 4K quality,but for the best picture is when my TV receives a 1080p HDMI signal from my Bluray player with a Bluray DVD,this I believe is a true 4K upconversion.
Another reason I went with a budget 4K UHDTV is I have this feeling in 4 more years or less they will come out with an 8K UHDTV and I will probably upgrade to that one.:)

Reactions: MikeD-C05

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts