4k Joey compatibility

darrengs

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 13, 2012
NJ
I have a Hopper 1 a Hopper 2 and a Joey. Is the 4k Joey compatible with the original Hopper?

My Joey 1 is so slow that search and apps are totally useless, and I figure if I am going to buy a new joey I would prefer to go with the 4k.

I have a Hopper 1 a Hopper 2 and a Joey. Is the 4k Joey compatible with the original Hopper?

My Joey 1 is so slow that search and apps are totally useless, and I figure if I am going to buy a new joey I would prefer to go with the 4k.
No it is not compatible with the Hopper 1. If you get a 4K Joey they will upgrade you to a Hopper with Sling as the Hopper 1 does not support the new Carbon UI.

No it is not compatible with the Hopper 1. If you get a 4K Joey they will upgrade you to a Hopper with Sling as the Hopper 1 does not support the new Carbon UI.

Thanks Scott,

Darn, I was looking to purchase a 4k Joey to avoid any other equipment upgrades in order to stay out of contract.

Scott, I just thought of another question. Does that mean that the Joey 2 & wireless Joeys will have different UI than H3 or H2 with carbon UI?

Nope when they install the Hopper With Sling they will force it to down the Carbon UI, once the Carbon UI is downloaded the the Sling, the Joeys will see that the Hopper has been upgraded and send the new carbon software to the joeys automatically. :)

Reactions: charlesrshell
Nope when they install the Hopper With Sling they will force it to down the Carbon UI, once the Carbon UI is downloaded the the Sling, the Joeys will see that the Hopper has been upgraded and send the new carbon software to the joeys automatically. :)
What if you have a Hopper 1 and a Hopper 2 and you want a 4K Joey, will the swap out that Hopper 1 with a H2 since the H1 and H2 won't communicate with each other with the new UI installed?

Or will they Upgrade you to a H3?

I already know what I'm doing, I just want others to see what their options are when you have mixed Hopper equipment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Correct the Hopper 1 would need to be swapped out.
Now does that mean you won't get the new UI unless you have a 4K Joey on your account?

Just want to make sure the H2 doesn't automatically update to the new UI and cause a Pissed off wife and kids lol when they lost their recordings access from the H1.

For right now beside our public beta program the only way Hoppers with Sling are getting the new UI is by adding a 4K Joey to your setup.

If you get a 4K Joey if you have a Hopper 1 it will be replace with a Hopper with Sling as again the new 4K Joey needs to the Carbon UI and needs to talk to the Hopper with Sling via that new UI only.

Anything on the old Hopper 1 will need to be backed up to an external hard drive as you will no longer have it once you get the 4K Joey.

For right now beside our public beta program the only way Hoppers with Sling are getting the new UI is by adding a 4K Joey to your setup.

If you get a 4K Joey if you have a Hopper 1 it will be replace with a Hopper with Sling as again the new 4K Joey needs to the Carbon UI and needs to talk to the Hopper with Sling via that new UI only.

Anything on the old Hopper 1 will need to be backed up to an external hard drive as you will no longer have it once you get the 4K Joey.
Okays sounds good.
Now I asked Hall in another thread , But I'm going to ask you too.
Will the Joeys still be able to Communicate with the H1 Using the New UI
Is it just the Hoppers that won't talk?

Okays sounds good.

The new UI will not work with the old UI. The joeys may work to watch live TV but no DVR access or Guide access

Okays sounds good.

No you can not have any Hopper 1s hooked up if you are in the new UI.

Reactions: Troch77
The new UI will not work with the old UI. The joeys may work to watch live TV but no DVR access or Guide access
So if the Joeys are running the New UI they also won't access the content on the H2K.

I would have tried the new software, But not if it makes my Joeys incompatible with the H2K.

Only way to stay out of contract is to purchase your equipment.
There are places that sell Dish equipment like Dish Depot and Solid Signal,you might be able to find what you want on EBay.
I know, that was why I was looking to buy a 4k Joey, but if I need to also upgrade my other Hopper to a HWS than it isn't worth it to me. Not really that big a deal, I may just drop the super slow joey 1 and change up some mirroring utilizing the 2 Hoppers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts