4K Joey Freezing Up

todd_l

Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Minnesota
Have the Hopper 3, and 2 4K Joeys. I've been having an issue with my two Joeys that started about a month ago.

About once per day, in the evening when we turn the TV on for the first time on one of the Joeys, it will start to be very laggy, and many times the screen will freeze up altogether. The usually after it's frozen for a minute or two, the Joey is reboot on it's own, and everything will be fine or another day or two. I feel like it's usually triggered when I'm navigating through my DVR recorded shows, but there have also been times it reboots right when I turn the TV on and go to Menu-Netflix.

I was thinking it was an issue with the Joey since once the Joey reboots everything is fine. But it's odd that it happens with both my Joeys. Haven't noticed it happening directly on my hopper, but we don't watch that TV nearly as much, so it's hard to know.

The other strange thing is that both of my Joeys never hibernate (set to 4 hours). Every time turn the TV on, it's right where I left off.

Anyone ever experience this? The tech was at the house for about 3 hours yesterday, replacing some cables and wires. But of course the issue only happens about once a day, and of course didn't happen while he was there. But the problem happened again last night after he left. I was thinking maybe I should take a video next time it happens. It feels like a software issue, but it's very strange that it's happening with both my Joeys, so maybe it's a Hopper issue?

Thanks

Last edited:
I'm starting to think it's maybe a Hopper hard drive issue (since it seems like the problem starts when I go into the DVR section, and because it happens with both my Joeys).

The thing that gives me pause is that the problem does away after the Joey reboots. If it was a Hopper problem, why would the Joey rebooting fit it?

I need to call Dish back, but not sure what to tell them. The tech that came to my house basically said the next step was to get new equipment, but I'm not sure if I should ask for new Joeys, or a new Hopper?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)