4K Joey Internet Issue

hdflsts2002

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 1, 2008
I have had then H3 and 4k Joeys now for a few month and continue to have the same issue on the Joeys that I had from Day 1.

The H3 is connected to the Lan via Ethernet.

H3 obtains an IP on Ethernet then H3 obtains an IP on MoCa (The same address, two interfaces should never have the same IP)

H3 enables the MoCa Network

4k Joeys (2) obtain an IP from the lan

H3 has no issue what so ever accessing internet

4K Joeys say connected to router but not to internet

From Lan I can ping address of H3 and 4K Joeys with no packet loss

Anything requiring internet access from either of the 4K Joeys fails saying internet connection required check network setup.

I have reported this issue to Dish on multiple occasions. Three of the times they have said a detailed report would be created and sent to engineering as this is a known issue and they are forwarding all details to engineering.

On one occasion they sent a Tech out. The tech was not sure what he was to do as this was not an issue where the H3 just needed to be connected to the internet (it already was) and based on what explained to him and what he observed this was either a hardware or software issue. I explained to him that, this is exactly what I had tried to explain to the phone rep and that it was not an issue that the tech would be able to solve, but the phone rep insisted on rolling a tech.

I have not reported this same issue today and once again was told that a report would be sent off to engineering. I calmly explained that I am well aware that this is a software issue and that when I upgraded to H3 I was aware that I would have to expect and deal with some glitches being an early adopter of new tech. I then explained that this is a few months in and I'm still unable to take full advantage of all the features of the 4K Joeys. Was he aware of any expected time to repair, and was Dish offering any type of compensation for patiently waiting months for a resolution to a 0 day issue that has limited functionality? The tech said at this time he was aware that this is an issue that has been reported. That he was unaware of any time frame to fix. His final comment was he was sure that once this was resolved Dish would issue some form of compensation.

Reading between the lines of that conversation leads me to believe what he was truly saying was I don't know if they are working on this or if and when it will be resolved and your guess is as good as mine if you'll see any sort of credit for your trouble.

I really like Dish's service, which is why I have been with them for years, but I'm really starting to get very frustrated. Am I alone with this issue or are there others here seeing the same thing? Anyone had any luck getting it resolved? Any DIRT member have any further insight on the issue or have a working relationship with the software engineers? Networking is my livelyhood and I'm more than wiling to work with or convey more detailed information to anyone at DISH who works with their network stack.

Thanks in advance for any and all help
Tony

I have had then H3 and 4k Joeys now for a few month and continue to have the same issue on the Joeys that I had from Day 1.

The H3 is connected to the Lan via Ethernet.

H3 obtains an IP on Ethernet then H3 obtains an IP on MoCa (The same address, two interfaces should never have the same IP)

H3 enables the MoCa Network

4k Joeys (2) obtain an IP from the lan

H3 has no issue what so ever accessing internet

4K Joeys say connected to router but not to internet

From Lan I can ping address of H3 and 4K Joeys with no packet loss

Anything requiring internet access from either of the 4K Joeys fails saying internet connection required check network setup.

I have reported this issue to Dish on multiple occasions. Three of the times they have said a detailed report would be created and sent to engineering as this is a known issue and they are forwarding all details to engineering.

On one occasion they sent a Tech out. The tech was not sure what he was to do as this was not an issue where the H3 just needed to be connected to the internet (it already was) and based on what explained to him and what he observed this was either a hardware or software issue. I explained to him that, this is exactly what I had tried to explain to the phone rep and that it was not an issue that the tech would be able to solve, but the phone rep insisted on rolling a tech.

I have not reported this same issue today and once again was told that a report would be sent off to engineering. I calmly explained that I am well aware that this is a software issue and that when I upgraded to H3 I was aware that I would have to expect and deal with some glitches being an early adopter of new tech. I then explained that this is a few months in and I'm still unable to take full advantage of all the features of the 4K Joeys. Was he aware of any expected time to repair, and was Dish offering any type of compensation for patiently waiting months for a resolution to a 0 day issue that has limited functionality? The tech said at this time he was aware that this is an issue that has been reported. That he was unaware of any time frame to fix. His final comment was he was sure that once this was resolved Dish would issue some form of compensation.

Reading between the lines of that conversation leads me to believe what he was truly saying was I don't know if they are working on this or if and when it will be resolved and your guess is as good as mine if you'll see any sort of credit for your trouble.

I really like Dish's service, which is why I have been with them for years, but I'm really starting to get very frustrated. Am I alone with this issue or are there others here seeing the same thing? Anyone had any luck getting it resolved? Any DIRT member have any further insight on the issue or have a working relationship with the software engineers? Networking is my livelyhood and I'm more than wiling to work with or convey more detailed information to anyone at DISH who works with their network stack.

Thanks in advance for any and all help
Tony
Make sure bridge mode on H3 is on.
Home- home - home - 2 - 7 - switch tabs from basic to advanced (at top of screen) then turn on bridging.

Make sure bridge mode on H3 is on.
Home- home - home - 2 - 7 - switch tabs from basic to advanced (at top of screen) then turn on bridging.

Sorry guess I should have included that, yes bridge is on, if it weren't the Joeys wouldn't be able to obtain an IP on the Lan.

I had a similar issue, and I found if you disabled bridge mode on the H3 then switched it back on, my 4K Joey was able to reach the Internet again. It may not work for you, but maybe it's worth a shot.

I had a similar issue, and I found if you disabled bridge mode on the H3 then switched it back on, my 4K Joey was able to reach the Internet again. It may not work for you, but maybe it's worth a shot.
Definitely worth a shot. Grear advise. A reboot after turning it off wouldn't hurt. :)

Yes I had tried that assuming that with bridging off the H3 would act as a router to the MoCa providing it's own IP addresses to the Joeys (This in my opinion is how this should have been designed). After that obviously did not work re-enabling bridging resulted in the same issue. Also that has been DISH's go to attempt to resolve the problem with each call. I did humor them and go through the process the first couple of calls.

Yes I had tried that assuming that with bridging off the H3 would act as a router to the MoCa providing it's own IP addresses to the Joeys (This in my opinion is how this should have been designed). After that obviously did not work re-enabling bridging resulted in the same issue. Also that has been DISH's go to attempt to resolve the problem with each call. I did humor them and go through the process the first couple of calls.
Time for a new unit i'd say.... even if it is some sort of software issue obviously it is not on every unit.

Time for a new unit i'd say.... even if it is some sort of software issue obviously it is not on every unit.

I'm starting to think that is in fact the solution. After being told several times that a report was being sent to engineering and that this is a known issue, I was strongly leaning to a software issue in the net stack. Now after no one else here replying, yea me too, I'm changing my vote to H3 hardware issue and will being calling DISH yet again today to request a replacement of the H3. Hopefully they will not require much prodding to get them to give that a try. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: spoiler1041
I'm starting to think that is in fact the solution. After being told several times that a report was being sent to engineering and that this is a known issue, I was strongly leaning to a software issue in the net stack. Now after no one else here replying, yea me too, I'm changing my vote to H3 hardware issue and will being calling DISH yet again today to request a replacement of the H3. Hopefully they will not require much prodding to get them to give that a try. Fingers crossed.
Just thought you may like to know my working setup also has same IP on moca interface and wifi interface.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts